Pallet Stand Project

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends, thought I'd share a couple pics of my progress on finishing my tank stands. I decided to go with pallet wood. Pretty happy with how its going so far! Enjoy!
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I like the utilitarian vibe.

[/QUOTim going back and forth, thinking about pallet frame with corrugated metal inlay.

That would be awesome.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey friends, thought I'd share a couple pics of my progress on finishing my tank stands. I decided to go with pallet wood. Pretty happy with how its going so far! Enjoy!

Very nice! Are you planning to add doors or leave it open? At some point you can walk us through how you prepped the wood (broke down the pallets, removed nails, etc.) - good work!

OP
OP
estevenson78

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Are you planning to add doors or leave it open? At some point you can walk us through how you prepped the wood (broke down the pallets, removed nails, etc.) - good work!
I'm going back and forth on the doors! I am actually going to try and upload a latest pic in just a little bit (a little bit extra finish work has been done)

Well...in honesty, it was leftover from a remodel project we did in our children's area at the church I pastor. (Those pics are incredible if you'd like to see them as well). But basically, we purchased pallet breakers and pried open and cut through nails with sawsall which is really cool cause the old nails are still in there!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to check out @Eagle_Steve 's setup where he has pictures of his stands and the awesome doors! I'll let him post the link to his thread, but it is very nice.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to check out @Eagle_Steve 's setup where he has pictures of his stands and the awesome doors! I'll let him post the link to his thread, but it is very nice.
Here is the link to my sons build. It is more in depth and has a ton more pics related to building the stand.

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice. I love pallet wood but hate taking them apart lol. I've use fence pickets for a lot of projects. They are often 1.47 or less.
IMG_20190111_195001.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice. I love pallet wood but hate taking them apart lol. I've use fence pickets for a lot of projects. They are often 1.47 or less.
IMG_20190111_195001.jpg
There is a trick to taking them apart.

Use a rubber mallet to loosen the boards just a little.
Sawzaw with fire and rescue demo blade is your friend.
Start with the pallet standing up and then cut the nails holding the slats to the 2x4s on either side.
From there you can wiggle the boards some to lossen them more.
Use the sawzaw to cut those nails while holding the boards and saw at a slight angle.
Gravity with a Demon fire and rescue blade is all the force needed to cut any pallets nails. Even 16 penny nails are butter for it.

Once you get the hang of it, you can strip a pallet in under a minute.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a trick to taking them apart.

Use a rubber mallet to loosen the boards just a little.
Sawzaw with fire and rescue demo blade is your friend.
Start with the pallet standing up and then cut the nails holding the slats to the 2x4s on either side.
From there you can wiggle the boards some to lossen them more.
Use the sawzaw to cut those nails while holding the boards and saw at a slight angle.
Gravity with a Demon fire and rescue blade is all the force needed to cut any pallets nails. Even 16 penny nails are butter for it.

Once you get the hang of it, you can strip a pallet in under a minute.

Thanks for the tips. I think have tried most of the ways that don't work!!! ;Meh

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A video would be helpful! Although a video with you and all of your fingers is strongly preferred!!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back