Palythoa with 3 heads on one stalk!

KingNebTheGreat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
159
Reaction score
83
Location
Ontario, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these purple death palys and a little while ago I saw that one of them had two heads on one stalk and I thought "oh that's pretty cool" and then this morning I noticed that now it has three on the one stalk!
image_2026-04-17_090149524.png

20260417_085610.jpg

20260417_090401.jpg

idk I just thought it was pretty cool. Any ideas on why this happens or what causes it? The heads don't appear to be splitting the stalk in any way. It's just one fat stalk with three heads.
Also here is minu as he was feeling photogenic and kept getting in the pictures
20260417_090457.jpg
 
Perhaps he is just an overachiever!

#reefsquad, anything to lend here?
 
It looks like the polyp is folded giving the appearance of multiple heads. Pretty cool either way!!
 
I've had double heads before.
 
I've had a Stratosphere Zoa do that before. I never ended up fully splitting. Every now and then I'll get a bud popping off the side of a stalk but only that one time where it appeared as if the polyp split partially.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new