Panic Problem: When and when not to panic?

Have you ever TRULY had a reason to panic in this hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 416 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 144 24.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 18 3.1%

• Total voters

SirReefa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panic and aquariums do not go together at all yet there are times when maybe you should panic and most times when you should not!

The problem is that when you panic, you rush to judgment and you rush to make bad decisions. These bad decisions, within an aquarium, then multiply and begin a cascading of events that can lead to a total crash of your saltwater reef aquarium or the loss of all of your fishy inhabitants.

Are you panicking yet? No? Good!

So today let's talk about the very RARE times you should probably panic and all those other times you should not.

1. What would be a scenario in which you think would truly be a time to panic? What would cause you to panic?

2. What are some common issues that cause people to panic in which there is no need to pai walked in one early morning with water on the floor.. When you're dealing with 25,000 gals+.. That's a reason to 'Freak-Out PANIC'!!!.. Trust me.. Whew!!.. Whata' way to Start-the-Day!..

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I really panicked was when a heater exploded. I got a call at work that my house was on fire and rushed home with this sick feeling that my animals were dying and home was destroyed. The fire department met me at the front door and gave the all clear...thankfully the only damage was black soot on my ceiling and the wall behind the tank. I don’t use heaters anymore because of that. I live in Houston so there’s really not a need to have a heater most of the year... I actually struggle to keep the tank cool enough. No more heaters, I just keep the house a little warmer in the winter when it gets cold and watch the temp closely.
Wow ! Do you happen to recall what brand of heater it was ?

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ! Do you happen to recall what brand of heater it was ?
I honestly don’t remember since it’s been about 15 years ago....it was a glass heater that I was running in my African cichlid tank. It scared me enough to get rid of my tanks and leave the aquarium hobby until just this past year.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actual panic moment:
many years ago with my first reef tank I was dosing kalkwasser. mouth syphoning I got a mouth full. bad... very bad.

potential panic moment?
glass blow out. I've thought about it and can't come up with any kind of rescue plan.

Edit:
I just remembered this one. I was renting a room from a co-worker. He was the drummer for the local metal band.
The band practiced in the basement. I came home to find my first salty tank, a 30g, cracked across the back and half the water gone. I start cleaning up and have a "Oh shoot" moment when I remember there are Marshal Stacks and Gibson Les Pauls down below. Luckily the only thing that got wet was a boom box (remember those?) and the top of a guitar case.

Last edited:

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to the cancer center on November 18th. Ask me after I am done.
Fish tank stuff you act calmly and quickly to save the animals. Same with fires and when the car is upside down.
I guess I have been through some stuff.
Good luck, prayers being sent your way.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had reason to panic about 20 years ago when a dodgy tank plumbing job resulted in water from the overflow spraying all over the MH transformers in the tank cabinet. Failures cascaded, the water became cloudy, fish and coral were dying. I learned about it while logging in to my forum account one morning while drinking my coffee in the south of France where I was on business. I had told my wife the tank was turnkey and automated and would run itself while I was gone for two weeks. "Just add food and top-off the water" I said.
So while I was off in Cannes eating canapés and drinking wine, she was back home taking care of two infants and having a tank spray saltwater all over the living room floor. Fortunately she logged into my reef club account and appealed for help. A couple of members leapt to help, coming to my house and stabilizing the system and rigging a temporary light system.
So yeah, I panicked, but more, I felt helpless and PO'd with myself for making multiple mistakes with the setup of the system. It was a learning experience - and I was thrilled that folks were on hand and saved my system from a total crash and my wife from having to deal with it on her own. Lessons learned....

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this tonight...I’m panicking.

5A6D45B8-3ECF-4911-9B5B-DA596A9C47CE.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back