Panic Problem: When and when not to panic?

Have you ever TRULY had a reason to panic in this hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 416 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 144 24.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 18 3.1%

• Total voters

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to the cancer center on November 18th. Ask me after I am done.
Fish tank stuff you act calmly and quickly to save the animals. Same with fires and when the car is upside down.
I guess I have been through some stuff.

Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes for 11-18-20 Ned.

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely panic, but I do sometimes move with a sense of urgency! Like if all the fish are floating or sinking, breathing hard, etc. I did have some panic in my heart when our 240 gallon tank cracked wide open and spilled all the water and fish on the living room floor. That took almost 6 months to recover from.

Blknovass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish tank stuff you act calmly and quickly to save the animals. Same with fires and when the car is upside down.

Good luck stay strong prayers going out to you and ur family

genny1687

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely panic, but I do sometimes move with a sense of urgency! Like if all the fish are floating or sinking, breathing hard, etc. I did have some panic in my heart when our 240 gallon tank cracked wide open and spilled all the water and fish on the living room floor. That took almost 6 months to recover from.
Holy molly, how did a 240g tank cracked open!? How long you had it for at that time?

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an electrical fire last year due to my hob overflow not picking up the siphon after a blackout -- I bought a back up battery that I keep charged that will run my 10 and 7 gallons (they are plumbed to the same sump) for 6 hours which is either long enough for the power to come back on or for us to get home if the power goes out while we're away. I miraculously only lost equipment with only minimal fire damage to my stand. It could have been much worse.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, our source of panic comes from money spent and then lost.
But it can’t just be about money. Don’t we all get attached to our animals? Sure we could get another like it but it’s personality and unique antics wouldn’t be the same in the new fish or animal. I believe it’s always best to be prepared so we aren’t prone to panic and bad decisions that might make the situation worse than doing nothing. But it isn’t just about money. We have lives that we owe everything we can to keep safe. Yes, money buys them but we can’t just have an attitude that money will fix it all or replace it if it dies. That just isn’t the proper thinking here. Cars, sure. living things, no.

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned my overflow, put things back, LEFT the room... then herd water being pumped out over the top of my display tank and onto my electrical. I didn’t have the overflow tube primed right and it wasn’t flowing into the sump. After I realized what was happening, I cut the power off and dried everything off. I was lucky only a few gallons were pumped out before I took action and everything electronic still worked. My new KessiI power bar was wet... had just started reefing.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New in the hobby when a strange noise wakes you up, walk into the room while your feet is squishing through the carpet to find most of the water from a 55 bow front on the floor. Anemones, coral, fish white as paper. It was shocking, it hurt, but what are you going to do...remove everything. The smell was horrible, carpeting and padding soaked, threw it out the window. Bottom had cracked completely across like a half moon. LFS fought with manufacturer to replace glass. Then it was sold ASAP.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in my thoughts! Anything we can send to keep you occupied while you’re there?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago I truly panacked
5C134FFD-10FA-4FD2-A7D0-B00594DD0119.jpeg
What is that?

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it can’t just be about money. Don’t we all get attached to our animals? Sure we could get another like it but it’s personality and unique antics wouldn’t be the same in the new fish or animal. I believe it’s always best to be prepared so we aren’t prone to panic and bad decisions that might make the situation worse than doing nothing. But it isn’t just about money. We have lives that we owe everything we can to keep safe. Yes, money buys them but we can’t just have an attitude that money will fix it all or replace it if it dies. That just isn’t the proper thinking here. Cars, sure. living things, no.

I know what you’re saying and I agree. We get attached to our pets but I also read a lot of posts where cost makes it’s appearance after a velvet attack or equipment failure.

I hated losing my first clown to an unconfirmed sickness and than my goby to carpet surfing even though they are cheap but If I lost 1000+ dollars on fish in one event would I stay? that’s hard to say.

On a personal note, I am doing what I can to get my first acro to remain viable because I don’t want to lose it (it appears to be coming back) To do so I have been staying on top of maintenance and testing. I also chose to add some KP aquatic rock for bio-diversity. I also added a P4 and KH Director to help monitor the tank for stability, all to provide the best ecosystem possible for my pets. I am also realistic believing that no matter what I do for QT some parasites will slip by or coral dipping some of those animals are not going to make it.

54Dutchman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have noted, you have define panic. I had the side glass crack and the tank leak done to about 3 inches. I found this as I came home about 5:30 PM; the LFS closes at 6:30PM. The LFS is about 45 minutes down the road. Quick trip and was thankful for a on hand tank with the correct footprint. So my pulse jumped up and had think and move fast - if that is panic - I panicked.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back