ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Super stoked about the flow from Panta Rhei! R2R sponsor @uniquecorals shipped me a Panta Rhei ECM 42 Pro with the new 2 button configuration to try on the CADE reef tank. LOVE this wavemaker pump!

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, been a fan of them since they my early freshwater days. They used to have one of the best selections of South American fish back when they sold livestock, not that I’d be importing from Germany. Their big thing was a rapids stream tank for plecos back before they retooled into an equipment-focused company.

Their new closed loop pump is a beast as well. Wish I had something big enough to need one.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How much was it? You said you replaced an mp40 right? Big difference?
It costs more but I think it’s worth it. It’s a different kind of flow. I still have an MP40 in the back right corner.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quite are the Panta Rhei!? I am thinking two for a 82"x30x30" tank, or would one suffice?

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How quite are the Panta Rhei!? I am thinking two for a 82"x30x30" tank, or would one suffice?
Mine is more quiet than the MP40 that I have. I’m running one ECM42 Pro on a 72” tank with similar dimensions and want another one. Thinking one on each end of the tank would be prefect.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you need to still offset the pair with MP40 or something else on the 72" tank or would two suffice?

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would you need to still offset the pair with MP40 or something else on the 72" tank or would two suffice?
Can’t imagine the MP40 being needed with 2 ECM42 pro pumps on a 72” tank. That’s a lot of flow. It’s a different flow than the mp40 too. I feel like head to head I get more out of the Panta Rhei than the Ecotech. IDK because the MP40 is supposed to be rated at a higher GPH

I would reach out to @uniquecorals for more information since they are a R2R sponsor and they can help with some specs and recommendations.

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 3 of these in my tank. Two of them have one magnet on the controller and the other has two magnets. I have the older two programmed through the USB programming. Can the older units be upgraded to two magnet control?

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 3 of these in my tank. Two of them have one magnet on the controller and the other has two magnets. I have the older two programmed through the USB programming. Can the older units be upgraded to two magnet control?
I think the USB controller still offers more control when two plus pumps are used. I would be curious to hear more.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t imagine the MP40 being needed with 2 ECM42 pro pumps on a 72” tank. That’s a lot of flow. It’s a different flow than the mp40 too. I feel like head to head I get more out of the Panta Rhei than the Ecotech. IDK because the MP40 is supposed to be rated at a higher GPH

I would reach out to @uniquecorals for more information since they are a R2R sponsor and they can help with some specs and recommendations.
I use two ECM42 on a 48x32x16 lps (hammers, torches, frogspawn and goniopora) frag tank at 100%. One runs up to 100% for a duration, the other then runs in overlap at 100% for a few seconds before the other turns off. They don’t really ramp, more surge to set speed. I do like it as it causes a cool pulse through the tank. I may be mistaken but with the USB controller you can’t run a program like the GHL permanent opposite mode where one pump runs at an inverted percentage of the other where the high turbulence zone shifts along the tank.

I have looked into the new(er) 0-10v controller. The main reason I’ve neglected is you can control one or more pumps with it but they will all respond the same. If I wanted to control two pumps independently I would need two separate 0-10v controllers. I would have liked 0-10v built into the “new” controller. Not necessarily because of the additional cost but it would equal less clutter.

The pumps are insanely quiet but if you put your ear up right to them you can hear that sweet high end whine you get out of the Abyzz pumps. The magnets are also tiny, yet insanely strong even with 3/4” glass. If you use Tunze pumps like the 6105 you have to purchase the magnet extension for 3/4” so that negates some of the cost difference.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the 42 you would want at least two. I would think additional flow would be necessary. Rick.45cal has four, two mounted on each side of his tank with quite a few more other brand power heads.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using the 42 you would want at least two. I would think additional flow would be necessary. Rick.45cal has four, two mounted on each side of his tank with quite a few more other brand power heads.
I do prefer a lot of flow though. On a 40x32x24 sps tank I run a 6105, 6255 (great wide turbulent flow) and two 6095s.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it! I'm getting the 63. Lol. Ty for the review and video as there really isn't much reviews out their for these.
The abyzz flow pump is nice and kool but the emc63 I think is cheaper idk I'd have to look. Lol.
See the tangs are doing great! Right on.
Stash on! I mean reef on!
D

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it! I'm getting the 63. Lol. Ty for the review and video as there really isn't much reviews out their for these.
The abyzz flow pump is nice and kool but the emc63 I think is cheaper idk I'd have to look. Lol.
D
Just put a 63 in a 12 foot tank and FINALLY got the whole bare bottom thing working like it should. Four MP60s couldn't quite do it. Should have started with two 63s from the beginning in retrospect.

OP
OP
ReefStash

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
D
Bam!! You’re welcome bro…. Looking forward to your feedback and experience once you get it in and going!

Tagging Unique Corals so they can chime in on this thread. @uniquecorals

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back