PAR and placement for a maxima clam.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My understanding is that maxima clams require 250ish PAR, but the people I've talked to said it should be placed on the sand bed. My sand bed isn't getting anywhere near that much PAR. Any suggestions?

@Tahoe61, @d2mini, #reefsquad :D Thanks in advance, guys and gals!

PS - I'm running radions (G3) with wide-angle lenses.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, and I'm open to removing the wide-angle lens if necessary, but from what I'm reading even if I do that, I won't be at 250 PAR on the SB.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Daniel,

Maxima and Crocea are rock boring clams so up on a stable plate form in the rocks will work well. Both clams do well in the sandbed but up in the rock work is ideal in my opinion. How deep is the tank, I find it hard to believe that a Gen3 Radion would not get the job done. :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason most keep the maximas on the sand bed is their tendency to move and fall over. I am not sure of your LEDs as I run MH and T5s. I keep mine on sandbed. However, size matters with these guys too. Little guys need more particulate food. I kept my babies in a basket high in the tank when they were really little. This helped them grow nicely. I fed them almost every day by blowing rock and sand, phyto and zoo. My current maxima is about 4-5" and is on the sandbed. It is sort of tucked itself away with a few nems and leather near it. Seems to be doing fine.

Last time i measured PAR on my sandbed in that area it was around 100, so not even close to 250. They can adapt if you are feeding.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Maxima. I also kept a crocea on the sand at easily 100 PAR for over 9 years. Was a great clam. I have also kept derasa and squamosa, but those require less light. I think it is also a combination of the wavelengths and not just PAR that makes them so happy. I also feed the tank a ton! Autofed phyto, zoo.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Daniel,

Maxima and Crocea are rock boring clams so up on a stable plate form in the rocks will work well. Both clams do well in the sandbed but up in the rock work is ideal in my opinion. How deep is the tank, I find it hard to believe that a Gen3 Radion would not get the job done. :)

The tank is 20" deep. I lowered the light last night (from 12" above the water to 6" above the water), so I'll take some new PAR measurements today and let you know where it's reading.

The reason most keep the maximas on the sand bed is their tendency to move and fall over. I am not sure of your LEDs as I run MH and T5s. I keep mine on sandbed. However, size matters with these guys too. Little guys need more particulate food. I kept my babies in a basket high in the tank when they were really little. This helped them grow nicely. I fed them almost every day by blowing rock and sand, phyto and zoo. My current maxima is about 4-5" and is on the sandbed. It is sort of tucked itself away with a few nems and leather near it. Seems to be doing fine.

Last time i measured PAR on my sandbed in that area it was around 100, so not even close to 250. They can adapt if you are feeding.

Thanks! That's good to know. My little clam is maybe an inch or so (he's tiny). I'm feeding heavily with phyto and coral frenzy, so maybe moving him up wouldn't be a bad idea until he grows some. I do have a spot where I think he might do well up on the rock.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a pic of the little guy after he took a walk in the sand (sorry it was after lights out).

20161223_055114.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really Daniel really!!!!!:eek: noob light off photo, sheeeesh. :D

Is there a spot up in the rock work that allows the clam to open fully and swivel around yet is large enough to keep the clam from falling? If so that is where I would place the clam.

You could also place the clam on concave flatter piece and allow the clam to attach and move the clam and attached medium up.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, here is my rock work currently (another photo with lights out just for you, Cheryl. :D).

20161227_094433.jpg

I was thinking that I could put him on the ledge to the right (next photo).

20161227_094445.jpg

But now I'm thinking maybe I should put him up top...

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tiny clam. If you have a good groove in a higher rock that he cannot fall from or be picked on, that would be good. As Twillard said they and crocea ore rock burrowing. Good luck!!!!
Sigh so easily forgotten. :p

Daniel that lower ledge to the left looks flatter. I would not try the area on top too far to fall and falling is a very bad thing for clams IME. It's really tough to find just the right spot that keeps the clam in place and yet allows the clam to open and some wiggle room. There for I would try a flat piece in the sand bed, allow the clam to attach and move that piece up.

I spy Acropora.;)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I just checked my levels and PAR on the shelf pieces is 150. :confused: Looks like I may need to get rid of my wide-angle lens if I'm going to get PAR high enough without moving the clam up top.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a pic of the clam now.

20161227_145507.jpg

20161227_145536.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok...those pics were awful, so I broke out the new Canon to see if I could do better...

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pretty clam.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll try and dispel this myth again, the smaller the clam does not mean they need to be fed more. They have an adequate amount zoanthele in their mantle, contrary to popular belief that they do not. With that being said though, feeding the them via phyto or other filter feeding food is not a bad idea. Here is a link to an article on feeding and small clam sizes: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

You have a nice looking clam there! Just keep and eye on it and make sure it doesn't jump down and land wrong. Should do just fine up there.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I have kept pretty much all of my clams in the sand and have never measured par. The maximas and crocea I have always placed a flat piece of rock under the sand to give them something to hold onto.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back