PAR and PUR from a cheap LED bar

  • Thread starter Thread starter LgTas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LgTas

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2020
Messages
551
Reaction score
515
Location
Tasmania
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have three tanks: 50l softy (cheap amazon reef light), 100l macroalgae and a 340l mixed reef (2x zetlight ufo's).

For the macro algae tank I've been using a cheap 7000k LED unit that I previously had on a planted tank:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/312638656126?hash=item48cab74e7e:g:VX0AAOSwQnReMi23&frcectupt=true
When I measure PAR and PUR with my seneye (I understand that the PUR reading is not super accurate on these units) I get the following readings at the centre mid point of each tank:
50l - PAR 170, PUR 81%
340l - PAR 190, PUR 83%
100l - PAR 280, PUR 63%

My first question: is it as simple as PAR x PUR% = usable available photosynthetic radiation?
e.g. for the 100l - 280 par x 63% = 176.4

Second question is linked to my surprise that such a cheap LED could put out so much PAR. So it's clearly powerful enough but I can see that on the PUR graph it has no ultra violet output. Basically just hitting the blues, greens and reds. The LED spread is mostly white LEDs with a few blue LEDS here and there. Given the low PUR % and absence of the violet spectrum, would this light be sufficient for BTA and rock nems?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new