PAR and PUR from a cheap LED bar

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have three tanks: 50l softy (cheap amazon reef light), 100l macroalgae and a 340l mixed reef (2x zetlight ufo's).

For the macro algae tank I've been using a cheap 7000k LED unit that I previously had on a planted tank:

When I measure PAR and PUR with my seneye (I understand that the PUR reading is not super accurate on these units) I get the following readings at the centre mid point of each tank:
50l - PAR 170, PUR 81%
340l - PAR 190, PUR 83%
100l - PAR 280, PUR 63%

My first question: is it as simple as PAR x PUR% = usable available photosynthetic radiation?
e.g. for the 100l - 280 par x 63% = 176.4

Second question is linked to my surprise that such a cheap LED could put out so much PAR. So it's clearly powerful enough but I can see that on the PUR graph it has no ultra violet output. Basically just hitting the blues, greens and reds. The LED spread is mostly white LEDs with a few blue LEDS here and there. Given the low PUR % and absence of the violet spectrum, would this light be sufficient for BTA and rock nems?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back