ROUND 2! PAR Shootout! Seneye Reef Monitor v2 VS. Apex PMK vs. Apogee MQ-510 Full

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Seneye connection thing is a pain. It isn't connect directly to my computer and I tried to put my phone number to my account but it's not accepting it (is it because it's not a european number?). Talking to their support which seems to be on the opposite time as me.
What connection thing? Seneye.me or the SWS or the pc SWC?

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what happened. But between upgrading the software for the SCA and moving the Seneye over to the computer it wasn't working yesterday. However today. I tried it again since Seneye said it should work.
Well today it moved right over to the computer!
Probably my computer restarted over night and fixed the issue somehow.

Point is though. You can move back and forth between the SCA and SWS with no issues with v2 of the SCA

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. That is very good to know. I remember in the setup of the sws saying once the usb device is updated by the sws it can't go back to the pc. Looks like they solved that issue then with v2 and didn't update the documentation.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What connection thing? Seneye.me or the SWS or the pc SWC?

No idea what the acronyms are for.

I don't have their web server box. I was plugging it directly to the computer with the downloaded app. It isn't connecting to the app. So it also isn't uploading to Seneye.me

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what the acronyms are for.

I don't have their web server box. I was plugging it directly to the computer with the downloaded app. It isn't connecting to the app. So it also isn't uploading to Seneye.me

Email or call them on skype at Seneye.help

I had some issues with getting mine setup initially. They ended up remoting into my computer and fixing it for me. The skype call is free

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email or call them on skype at Seneye.help

I had some issues with getting mine setup initially. They ended up remoting into my computer and fixing it for me. The skype call is free

I'll been emailing them. I'll probably see if I can skype too. Thanks for the info.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Apex is having a firmware problem to my issue has been sent to their software engineers, My system is working and I can connect and all but it is not giving my reports like yesterday it turned on my fuge light but didn't show it in the report, but this morning when it turned off the light it showed up in the report. I have emailed them I bet 50 times today finally they told me they were sending it to Engineering

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thumbs down when they did this!

We sorted this out earlier.
It does work, but the PC you plug into after unplugging from the SWS needs to have internet access; this way the Seneye network can send a message to the Seneye device telling it to play nice with the PC direct connection.
After I figured that out I was able to collect PAR data from my LFS

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still needs an account and everything now. Before it was just app and go, can't lend mine out now.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still needs an account and everything now. Before it was just app and go, can't lend mine out now.
You could change your password to something very simple. Like the name of the person you are lending it to. Then change it back when you get it back. Seems pretty simple to do

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could change your password to something very simple. Like the name of the person you are lending it to. Then change it back when you get it back. Seems pretty simple to do
Quit telling me what to do, get off my lawn. (Raises fist in anger while drinking metamuclil.)

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit telling me what to do, get off my lawn. (Raises fist in anger while drinking metamuclil.)

Ha, I am just saying it doesn't seem that bad. It still, in my opinion, is a good product.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Channel 6 Violet 16 Semi LED 3watt 420nm (Check out that PUR!)
Photon v2 30% channel 5 violet only by Jason, on Flickr

Photon v2 30% channel 5 violet only by Jason, on Flickr

My Conclusion:
I have to say the Seneye was right there shoulder to shoulder with the Apogee. Both were live readings so constantly changing but well with in 10 of each other and criss crossing. The Seneye also has the edge here in that it also provides the LUX, Spectral range, and PUR. I was skeptical on if the Spectral Range and PUR was accurate but after going through the individual channels I'm feeling pretty comfy with at least the Spectral Ranges. The latest firmware update and the Seneye really make for one heck of a good value for a light meter! I give the edge here to the Seneye for value and features!
Looks identical to your last run. I refer your last comparison to everyone that asks. Great work and thanks for posting again!!

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459 -
I (we) certainly appreciate all the testing. No doubt this has made an impact on some decision making around here.

As far as this connection issue... Couldn't a 'hotspot' be setup via cell phone and just connect that way? Could be a roaming testing service!

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459 -
I (we) certainly appreciate all the testing. No doubt this has made an impact on some decision making around here.

As far as this connection issue... Couldn't a 'hotspot' be setup via cell phone and just connect that way? Could be a roaming testing service!

Yes, that absolutely works. I have used it exactly in that way before to take readings.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the work and write up.. I was considering an PMK.. to replace my older Apogee 200 .. Given the results I think I will wait on the PMK.. unless i hear they have upgraded and resolved the issues... thanks again..

U

User1

View Badges
Unless you want something to won the last BRS video said they are now renting meters. I was looking to pick something up then decided against it. I'll get in line and rent since I think most of the items will be a low use tool in the shed and I'll use that money elsewhere.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a seneye only for the Light meter functionality. I did a quick test of tank last night. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but I was getting zero PUR. PAR was about 450 at the top and 80-100 at the bottom, but the PUR graph stayed flat. I am getting coral growth (not much on some, alot on others) so I know I have SOME PUR. Kelvin shows "no kelvin" which I read is expected. I run mainly blue with about 4% white, so I would expect a higher blue reading.

Do you need a Kelvin number for a PUR reading?

U

User1

View Badges
I just got a seneye only for the Light meter functionality. I did a quick test of tank last night. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but I was getting zero PUR. PAR was about 450 at the top and 80-100 at the bottom, but the PUR graph stayed flat. I am getting coral growth (not much on some, alot on others) so I know I have SOME PUR. Kelvin shows "no kelvin" which I read is expected. I run mainly blue with about 4% white, so I would expect a higher blue reading.

Do you need a Kelvin number for a PUR reading?

I seem to recall that the PUR reading was a percentage displayed in the upper right corner when using the device via the USB cable and PC. I don't believe the web portal displays PUR after it is recorded and displayed on the portal. Then again I've only tested the light meter much like you until a later date when I have some help. It is a bit cumbersome to use without help and makes for accurate or consistent readings. Great device though upon initial use.

upload_2018-12-18_8-55-28.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back