Has anyone rented a PAR meter before?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to understand my par levels in my tank as I've tweaked then over the last 12 months or so from an older setup.

Looking at renting a PAR meter from saltwateraquarium.com but wanted to see if anyone else has tried this before.

LFS will come out and take readings but it's a $80 house call vs. $100 for my own experimentation and setups for 30 days.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rented at my LFS for $50/week, just had to put in a $400 hold while I had the meter.

Best thing I could have ever done. I went nuts on measuring every possible light option and position I might use in all of my tanks so as to make the best use of the time.

It's immensely satisfying, and also let me know that the problem I thought I was having - not enough PAR - was the exact opposite and I've been blasting my tanks with a lot of light.

Also, for renting purposes, be prepared to either make your own holding arm, or make sure they provide one. Not sure about where you're looking to rent from, whether they include some kind of arm/holder or not.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same meter mq510. It works great for led or halides or t5. also have an mq200 that ive used many years for halides.
i would want it for a month more than just a day if those were my options

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this twice now. this is a very fare deal, plus you can share it with friends to help cover the cost and you get to keep it for 2 months. Win Win Win here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back