ROUND 2! PAR Shootout! Seneye Reef Monitor v2 VS. Apex PMK vs. Apogee MQ-510 Full

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can get a very cheap used laptop or windows 8 tablet with USB on it. I used an old win 7 laptop until I got the SWS and honestly there's little difference between the two EXCEPT I love I can easily connect to the SWS from any device like my laptop, tablet, desktop, and phone. And that's locally connected unless you setup some kind of remote access into the network or port forwarding. Which I've done the later temporarily while trying to get live par readings through out the day. Otherwise the SWS reports out to seneye.me cloud like a windows pc would.

I'm planning to buy a tiny computer. And plug it into my TV and plug the Seneye into that (my tank will sit about 2 yards from the TV).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G...uter+stick&dpPl=1&dpID=31WFcy7G21L&ref=plSrch

MBX5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice write up thanks! Now I'm confused on what to get I've always been a Mac person and it's all we own. If I by the web link thing the Seneye starts to be just as much as any other system. Now if this would work https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-B1-730-18YX-7-Inch-NT-L4KAA-001/dp/B00LPMFQ92/ref=sr_1_23?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491093079&sr=1-23&keywords=windows+Tablet&refinements=p_36:4000-99999999 I'd be saving a few bucks. Do any of you MS guys know if that would run the Seneye? Thanks for any help

That says Android right? The Seneye didn't work on my parents Windows XP. I think it's just a new windows OS only (with the exception of their Seneye web thing).

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says Android but also says Windows OS. I'd look at something else.

You'll need Windows and USB. Some tablets only have microusb but you can get a micro usb to regular usb adapters. But then you couldn't charge and use it at the same time.

Like this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N2YG91G/ref=psdcmw_1232597011_t2_B012B6ZRYY

There are some that have both so you can charge and use the usb port at the same time.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably what I would get to try out. Can charge and use a regular usb device at the same time from what it looks like. Good price for a basic 2n1 tablet with keyboard. I would not expect stellar performance from it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0188NA4DS

The intel 2 compute stick idles at 2.5watts I think runs upwards of 10 watts. At least from some google search results. Going to buy a UPS plug the compute stick, Seneye, and a single lower wattage power head in. In case of power outage. My router/modem is already on another power backup. Hopefully I could still get alerts. At least the tablets would have an onboard battery.

MBX5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm thinking in the long run I could buy other par meters for the same price as this setup. I have no use for MS stuff other than this Seneye meter and even then I'm only ever going to use the PAR meter function.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had luck going back from the SWS to plugging straight into their computer for portability? Mine isn't working and I want to take it to my local store to see what his frag tanks are running at.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like once it's firmware is updated by the sws it can't be used by a PC anymore which is a negative.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them. But that is a big negative. The Seneye is no longer usable without internet access and a power outlet

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them. But that is a big negative. The Seneye is no longer usable without internet access
Not true. You don't need internet access to use the sws. I connect directly to it when home. It's interface is similar to what the v2 interface on the PC was like.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. You don't need internet access to use the sws. I connect directly to it when home. It's interface is similar to what the v2 interface on the PC was like.

How are you connecting to it? The secret internet address it made up works without internet?
But I will still need power right? Or can the sws be powered by the computer?
Looks like i have some experimenting to do.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And fyi I set mine to a static IP and setup a name to IP mapping so I can just use the name.

Will need the pin number to get into the sws settings.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need to connect to it's IP address via http. Yep, needs power.

I just unplugged the ethernet cable from the SWS and it didn't work anymore. So you do have to be on a network with the SWS. Which goes back to the issue of portability. I won't be able to use this at my LFS which is frustrating. Unless I can somehow get my computer to be the network for it and plug ethernet into the sws from the computer ethernet port

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some kind of network to it. You don't need internet. I have a wireless network adapter for it. But no it's not as portable as say the Apogee which if portability is desired that is the way to go. But some have gotten there seneye connected to a Windows tablet which makes it more portable.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Seneye connection thing is a pain. It isn't connect directly to my computer and I tried to put my phone number to my account but it's not accepting it (is it because it's not a european number?). Talking to their support which seems to be on the opposite time as me.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need some kind of network to it. You don't need internet. I have a wireless network adapter for it. But no it's not as portable as say the Apogee which if portability is desired that is the way to go. But some have gotten there seneye connected to a Windows tablet which makes it more portable.

Sure. But they should come up with a way to let it swap back and forth between pc and SWS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back