ROUND 2! PAR Shootout! Seneye Reef Monitor v2 VS. Apex PMK vs. Apogee MQ-510 Full

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little blurb on Seneye's PAR and what drives their PUR measurements. I wanted to make sure I was reading the PUR reading right which is a percentage of that PAR reading.

http://answers.seneye.com/index.php?title=en/Aquarium_help/What_is_PAR_&_PUR_?

"As a seneye measures both spectrum and PAR it can give a good idea of the % of PUR in a PAR value."

On Seneye making their PAR sensor specialized for reef lighting particularly the blue spectrum. Possibly why it's better at the LED readings then the older Apogee model was.

" most PAR devices are aimed for use in greenhouses where they are more interested in the red end of the PAR spectrum as this is where most terrestrial plant get there useful light from. The seneye device is more sensitive than most at light below 450nm (bluer). This is arguably the most important spectra for coral and why most marine aquarists use additional actinic (03) spectrum bulbs."

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely shows how water effects and reduces Reds quickly with PAR so low while being driven at the same power intensity by the fixture. But with the PUR that high how much PAR is actually needed? Same with other color spectrums and PAR vs. PUR. Or are reds very useful or harmful? Could it promote algae growth as 660nm LEDs are used on my Trubo's Aquatics ATS if I remember right. And that thing grows algae like crazy. There's one paper out there showing Reds represses at least one type of corals. But what about others? Anemones? Clams? Etc.
I always looked at red LEDs as a sort of color correction on a picture. Same with 3500k whites and green-cyan diodes. If based on a RGB or CMYK scale, your red colors cancel out green and cyan. This is for our visual appeal, so to speak. They also enhance reds visually, not genetically. That is my understanding.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

premiumaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great information. Thanks so much for posting jason2459. We have been selling SENEYE Reef and Apogee Par meters for years and it's nice to see a lot of positive information on the SENEYE. We often get customers asking more technical questions on those. I would love to make some type of Article from your information for our website. If that is something you are interested in please contact me [email protected] and maybe we could work out a freebie on something for letting us share your content on our website.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In defense of the Apogee, and I think someone mentioned about the portability of the Apogee earlier, the Apogee MQ with handheld reader does have the edge of portability, ease of use, and can get into tighter places.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have a seneye wifi web server on its way! lol Thanks Premium Aquatics!

Going to compare running it off the laptop vs web server. I can't seem to get live readings from seneye.me but I may be doing something wrong. Will see how it goes with the web server and see how ease of use is.

And a side note. I have the seneye and apogee mq510 sitting on the sandbed in the middle of the tank all day today collecting data. So far they are lining up well as expected considering previous results above.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread !! I was also on the fence about buying one .. but I'm sold on it now thankyou ! So if you could please talk too my girlfriend and convince her I need one I'd much appreciate it :p:p:D:D

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread !! I was also on the fence about buying one .. but I'm sold on it now thankyou ! So if you could please talk too my girlfriend and convince her I need one I'd much appreciate it :p:p:D:D

lol

The thread I linked to in the first post gives a good reason for ammonia monitoring even on a mature tank if that helps.

If you're keeping corals its extremely useful to know par values across the tank to get help in placement. If changing lighting I found its extremely important to know before and after par values. Long term trending of par can help determine when bulbs or fixtures need replaced.

I myself am going to try and track PUR values with the seneye and see if it is sensitive enough to track spectrum shifting with my T5s bulbs and even the phosphors that are in many LEDs to give their specific colors. Phosphors will burn out well before a bulb will and before PAR values drop. This is why many change out T5 bulbs well before their manufacture rated time period. When the spectrum shifts its usually toward the red side which algae and cyano like. This can happen to LEDs too. Keep them cool.

I'm sure this thread has made some sales. So many people have thought the seneye to be pretty useless. Being able to compare it to what many thought to be a defacto tool, apogee par meter, for lighting a coral reef I think was kind of an eye opener. So many people over the years have religated themselves to borrowing or renting one out from their LFS or local reef club. Or many never and guessing on how their lights are performing and intensities and spread.

I found my 3 16" fixtures were doing a terrible job and had many hot spots. Then I found my sbreef lights sbars were way under performing. Now I'm finding my new reef breeders setup is extremely even through out. Its awesome. I would never have known with out even a basic par meter.

Last edited:

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason I would be interested to know what your PUR and PAR ratings are at the specific corals you have in your tank. I'm knew to the hobby and looking for PAR values for placement. Knowing the PUR helps too. Really, just the peak day values and the values on either end of peak day and the amount time that each is set to run for.
For whatever reason I'm not finding any information about peak time settings for a light and how long to set it for. (It could just be the highest PAR and PUR you get at the top of your rock structure and then also the reading around each coral type.
Hopefully I asked this in a way you and others can answer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back