PAR Meter rental or borrow

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just downloaded the Photone app so I don’t have to buy an expensive par meter, only to use it a couple times in a month, but I don’t completely trust the results. I was wondering if there is anybody in south jersey, or around south jersey, that is willing to lend me their par meter, or sell to me (I am on a budget, so I wouldn’t be able to spend that much). Also, what are good places to rent Pat meters in south jersey or online? My LFS doesn’t sell or rent them, and BRS is too expensive for me just to rent.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently compared the app to the par meter and it was decent in comparison. I don't put my phone underwater though just at the water surface.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat my friend. Would love to rent one locally. The phone app works?! Following this thread...

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at a previous thread on this app, and it appears that the iphone app can get you pretty close +/- 20-30par.
Which is more than enough for most of us.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app is called Photone and you have to buy the Blue/White LED spectrum for $5.99 I believe. For the most part I have seen the measurement as 7-10% under actual PAR per reviews when someone has put it to use against a PAR meter. Given the cost of rental at a shop, or the buy and return at BRS with the $80 restock fee....I opted to use the app to find PAR in my new set up. Once you own it, its a lifetime use so you can use it on your tank, help a friend with theirs, etc without reoccurring rental costs.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a member of NJRC and there is a member I know of I’m north Jersey that was willing to let members access his apogee 510. I haven’t gotten around to it yet but I should have. Was a while ago . it was a generous offer tbh. Quality members.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a member of NJRC and there is a member I know of I’m north Jersey that was willing to let members access his apogee 510. I haven’t gotten around to it yet but I should have. Was a while ago . it was a generous offer tbh. Quality members.
I would rent one to people for $10 if I had the money to buy one.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app is called Photone and you have to buy the Blue/White LED spectrum for $5.99 I believe. For the most part I have seen the measurement as 7-10% under actual PAR per reviews when someone has put it to use against a PAR meter. Given the cost of rental at a shop, or the buy and return at BRS with the $80 restock fee....I opted to use the app to find PAR in my new set up. Once you own it, its a lifetime use so you can use it on your tank, help a friend with theirs, etc without reoccurring rental costs.
The app apparently has to be calibrated to each phone model. They have a lot of phones calibrated automatically but unfortunately not all.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app apparently has to be calibrated to each phone model. They have a lot of phones calibrated automatically but unfortunately not all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221024-170458.png
    Screenshot_20221024-170458.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 35

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is anyone in the chicago area that has one let me know! I’d for sure pay a little charge or something to see my actual readings!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back