PAR Reduction from a Magnetic Frag Rack

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnNYC8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JohnNYC8

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2023
Messages
508
Reaction score
458
Location
Central New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to install a magnetic frag rack in the top third of my tank would it drastically reduce low-tank PAR from light reflected off the glass? I have a 24” cube with a Gen 6 XR15 Blue and will have a 21” Blade Glow in the front to cut down on shading. I’m not PAR limited but I don’t want to create a lot of excess shading in one area down low.

I can’t seem to find anywhere how much reflected light actually contributes to PAR.
 
Having several racks on my frag/display tank, there is a significant reduction. My sandbed is around 250-275 but the ones covered by a rack is around 90 par.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new