PAR Testing - Kessil A80 vs $30 Kingbo bulb

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not surprised. Those bulbs are pretty darn effective. And likely to beat anything similar at that form factor/watts. I ran an ABI tuna blue, which kicked off rapid coralline growth (and hair algae). I did not like them in the long run though, can't dim them. And in my pico reef (3.7 g) the disco effect was pretty big. Fixed spectrum was also not very enjoyable (may be because I was running kessil on by 29G already). Coraline growth almost stopped after I switched to kessil (and green hair algae) .. now after almost 5 months, coraline is coming back, and algae is very less (not green hair , but the ones that form spots in glass)

I still have two of this type of bulbs,,.. I'll always recommend them if anyone who is on budget.

I would love to make these things dimmable (and probably controllable spectrum as well) , someday :)
From what I hear from a few youtubers, they are dimmable with added dimming switches. Have you tried it?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I hear from a few youtubers, they are dimmable with added dimming switches. Have you tried it?
Nah, I was thinking of hacking their power source, i.e internally they use a 12v transformer, followed by a rectifier (to convert it to DC), I want to pretty much gate that powersource with a mosfet (or may be a TIP120 will do), rest my DIY controller can do (or any other controller)..
It is unlikely that the bulb will look like a bulb if I take this route, the LEDs will be pretty much down to a puck (like the kessil), and the transformer might reside inside the controller housing. The only reason I want to do this, is it will make a 18/20 watt, dimmable lighting with controller within 60$ .

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately, with a lot of freshwater discussion, I wanted to do a rescape on my planted tank. Came across this little COB light... For $56 on Amazon the Luminigrow Asta 20 comes with IR remote w/ 4 channel adjustments, 2 lenses, and a rustproof gooseneck. 12 month warranty.
61biLex9-xL._SL1300_.jpg
71fFzhCaFKL._SL1000_.jpg

I ordered the planted(6500k) tank version :D

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately, with a lot of freshwater discussion, I wanted to do a rescape on my planted tank. Came across this little COB light... For $56 on Amazon the Luminigrow Asta 20 comes with IR remote w/ 4 channel adjustments, 2 lenses, and a rustproof gooseneck. 12 month warranty.
61biLex9-xL._SL1300_.jpg
71fFzhCaFKL._SL1000_.jpg

I ordered the planted(6500k) tank version :D
Hey that's coool!!! Is the reef n marine $1,000,000? Def let me know what king of power that has.
A winter pico has been on my mind.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that's coool!!! Is the reef n marine $1,000,000? Def let me know what king of power that has.
A winter pico has been on my mind.
Well, I can par test the planted version. Not sure that will help but I can do it lol They say with the 180 deg lens it will work with 18"(length) tank.

For good head jerk, check out the reviews and the customer images. Nice little 5g tank(maybe smaller) with a clownfish, yellow tang and blue hippo tang. ;Nailbiting;Drowning

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can par test the planted version. Not sure that will help but I can do it lol They say with the 180 deg lens it will work with 18"(length) tank.

For good head jerk, check out the reviews and the customer images. Nice little 5g tank(maybe smaller) with a clownfish, yellow tang and blue hippo tang. ;Nailbiting;Drowning
Eww. I'm actually a bit squeamish at the moment.
Lol.

You can actually do a par lux
And it's good to know that par number. If it can deliver 100 par or more at like 8 to 12 in , it's worth it.
Keeps the price for that much par in between the 38 and the kessil. Looks better than a bare bulb too.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I was thinking of hacking their power source, i.e internally they use a 12v transformer, followed by a rectifier (to convert it to DC), I want to pretty much gate that powersource with a mosfet (or may be a TIP120 will do), rest my DIY controller can do (or any other controller)..
It is unlikely that the bulb will look like a bulb if I take this route, the LEDs will be pretty much down to a puck (like the kessil), and the transformer might reside inside the controller housing. The only reason I want to do this, is it will make a 18/20 watt, dimmable lighting with controller within 60$ .

LOL.. With all that work you would be better off just DIY from scratch...
18/20 watt..60$
not a very high bar..
http://www.rapidled.com/citizen-royal-blue-cob-clu048-1212cf-b455/

At least then you could separate the power conversion from the heat center..

Have little faith in any lasting more than a year..
LEd's like that are in the old "stage" of CFL's.. You were guaranteed for years, lasting months due to heat taking out the ballast part..

Of course even at 1 yr and the cheap replacement cost.. not really an issue..
Just don't expect much..;)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.. With all that work you would be better off just DIY from scratch...

not a very high bar..
http://www.rapidled.com/citizen-royal-blue-cob-clu048-1212cf-b455/

At least then you could separate the power conversion from the heat center..

Have little faith in any lasting more than a year..
LEd's like that are in the old "stage" of CFL's.. You were guaranteed for years, lasting months due to heat taking out the ballast part..

Of course even at 1 yr and the cheap replacement cost.. not really an issue..
Just don't expect much..;)
:) LOL. I want to mod the bulbs because I have two of them already. I opened up one to see how it works.
RapidLED will cost bit more I think, since you have to get the power adapter separately... also heat sink..the housing of these bulbs acts as heat sink
I would agree though, overall, if someone is starting from scratch probably best to go with some led strip.. instead of modding some bulb, that lotta work

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) LOL. I want to mod the bulbs because I have two of them already. I opened up one to see how it works.
RapidLED will cost bit more I think, since you have to get the power adapter separately... also heat sink..the housing of these bulbs acts as heat sink
I would agree though, overall, if someone is starting from scratch probably best to go with some led strip.. instead of modding some bulb, that lotta work
Are the chips easy to swap?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back