Par Vs Color Temperature

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I’ve read thoughts on this before. Wondering aloud how that bodes for those of us trying to grow mangroves (or similar) which don’t thrive without more red spectrum?
I used to have a 6500k MH over a clam and mangrove which did great. Current setup however has a kessil H80 over the mangroves in the display tank. There’s certainly red spillover.

My only visual observation of the red lit area was a nem moved right into it. Probably a shallower water creature
Interesting observations

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply had a video of the San Diego MACNA presentation at one time. I suppose they still do. That was a most difficult project - took almost a year to complete. That one looked at alkalinity and rates of zoox photosynthesis, plus observations of corals in shallow Hawaiian tide pools. The Las Vegas presentation looked at coral coloration. I think BRS has that one posted as well.
In case this is not said enough, we really appreciate you taking the time to share your work. I’ve watched these videos dozens of times. Learning the science/ecology of the reefs is a major component of my satisfaction with the hobby.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I’ve read thoughts on this before. Wondering aloud how that bodes for those of us trying to grow mangroves (or similar) which don’t thrive without more red spectrum?
I used to have a 6500k MH over a clam and mangrove which did great. Current setup however has a kessil H80 over the mangroves in the display tank. There’s certainly red spillover.

My only visual observation of the red lit area was a nem moved right into it. Probably a shallower water creature
Let me look at this when I get home this afternoon.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case this is not said enough, we really appreciate you taking the time to share your work. I’ve watched these videos dozens of times. Learning the science/ecology of the reefs is a major component of my satisfaction with the hobby.
Thank you so much. Establishing a protocol is interesting, but not exciting (and there is always a good chance that protocol is wrong.) Setting up the experiment is tedious, and data collection requires a lot of attention. What motivates me is that 'eureka' moment when data analyses makes reveals something of interest. As I said, some experiments take 9-12 months to complete (including a PowerPoint presentation.) But what *really* motivates me is to hear I've helped someone.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back