Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so heres an update.
Ive reviewed alot of information from various places on the intrawebs and wanted to confirm this with the knowledge base here....
Sump return Pump = 714gph + XStream powerhead 5000 =1320 gph x 2.
714+1320+1320= 3354

3354 ÷72 = 46.58333...

Meaning I have 46.5x turnover?

I have this on a wave surfer so its currently alternating the powerheads on a 2 minute cycle... (1 mintue each) and they are angled to meet each other in the center of the front of the tank... so since one is off while the other is on would that bring my turnover rate down to the following equation:
714+1320= 2034÷72= 28.25 so 28x turnover?

That being said what is the correct time cycle for me to use on the tank? I am planning for corals when the tank is ready and would rather get the system set now then waiting till the last minute so I can get used to it as well as the fish.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With alternating powerheads like that, I would do an extended time to get the water column moving one direction, then the other like 15 minutes. This is a good read on using a gyre for flow (not the Maxspect gyre, gyre as a type of water movement)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is some update pics.
DSCN0998.JPG
DSCN1000.JPG
DSCN1003.JPG

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who advised you to use bio ball wet dry system when using live rock? Your live rock is your biological filtration so adding bioballs takes away from that and can cause issues down the road (bio balls can build up nitrates). In saltwater, you usually want to run what we call "reef sumps" which means a sump with a protein skimmer, filter socks usually, refugium if desirable and a return pump. Just an FYI good luck with tank!

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who advised you to use bio ball wet dry system when using live rock? Your live rock is your biological filtration so adding bioballs takes away from that and can cause issues down the road (bio balls can build up nitrates). In saltwater, you usually want to run what we call "reef sumps" which means a sump with a protein skimmer, filter socks usually, refugium if desirable and a return pump. Just an FYI good luck with tank!
I totally agree with this bio ball's will only collect detritus.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the LFS.... With more research and videos on youtube from Bulk Reef Supply among others I think I'll be building a sump soon with more room as well a refuge section and room for a skimmer. also It gives me as reason to visit my grandfathers shop / give him a project to "supervise"

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the LFS.... With more research and videos on youtube from Bulk Reef Supply among others I think I'll be building a sump soon with more room as well a refuge section and room for a skimmer. also It gives me as reason to visit my grandfathers shop / give him a project to "supervise"
I bought a trigger ruby 36 s and I really like it.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 gallon I would recommend the trigger ruby 30 s for fitting in the stand.

Back