Paramedics destress tank 72g new to SW

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your bioballs don't need to be replaced by anything since you have already live rock so once you purchase your sump just get rid of that wet dry system, they are utilized for aquariums that DO NOT have live rock so you can cultivate a biological filtration using the bio balls. Your live rock is your primary source for biological filtration. In your sump is where you want mechanical filtration to take over such as a skimmer and filter socks plus you can add a refugium partition if you desire and/or media reactors also. I wouldn't run a saltwater tank without a protein skimmer ever. Look into buying a new sump and protein skimmer as this will make your experience so much better trust me, it's worth it. Without a skimmer and with bio balls you are going to run into nutrient problems which are going to cause all kinds of algae issues plus a skimmer gives you some extra o2 in the tank from the air exchange. If you want a really nice built custom sump contact custom king on Manhattan Reefs if interested. For your size tank I'd go with a decent skimmer such as a reef octopus 6" which won't break your pocket as much as the higher end skimmers will or you can find a nice used skimmer such as a Vertex Omega or whatever you prefer. Read some articles because the skimmer is the most important piece of equipment on a saltwater tank in my opinion, excluding live rock which is THE most important imo. Good luck and hope this helps you.

Last edited:

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fan of people spewing replies that are what they read in a post somewhere with no experience. Bioballs are fine....just require maintained like everything else. When you do a water change stir them around and pull water from the sump. They will be fine, and the are not for systems without live rock.

Or you could follow advice from jetmaker and spend 500 on a sump like he did because its name brand and red.

I also like how none of them mentioned the fact that if you just pull all those bioballs at one time you could have a tank crash on your hands since they have probably 5x the surface area of your rock and store much more of your bacteria.

Ultimately you have to decide what's best for your Reef based on your maintenance schedule and what you wanna keep...not by buying the top notch stuff and waiting for it to happen over night....I get extremely irritated when people give suspect advice to a brand new reefer to see the drop the hobby in 6 months because its a money pit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at skimmers today, have room in sump for one; was suggested to wait for a a couple of month by 2 different LFS staff... So I'll pick one up when I get my taxes;

also I added a small moon LED so I can see the tank a bit at night and it's plugged in to a switched plug so I flip a switch on the way out of the room and the moon light goes off. It's attached by bulky and not pretty clear Velcro with an extra Velcro tab to prevent it hitting the water in case the handle fails. I'll eventually trim these down and clean it up a bit but for now I'm happy with it. Here are some pics...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/15/16 Home water Test, All looks great.
1/16/16 Added a Xenia Frag that had actualy became two frags upon placing in tank.
1/17/16 Water Test at LFS, All looks good. Added Foxface drip method, he looked good and acted great.
1/19/16 Found Foxface dead. Checked all water pramas everything shows good..
1/20/16 Took foxface and water sample back to LFS, warrantied the fish, said my water quality was "as perfect as it gets" Everything shows great. Unsure what caused the death of Foxy.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/20/16 Evening... Coral Tracking
Current count.

Zoa Colony 1 - Polyps = 4
Zoa Colony 2 - Polyps = 8
Zoa Colony 3 - Polyps = 17

Mushroom - Fulling opening, slightly smaller than a US Quarter

Xenia Colony 1 - 3 Stalks
Xenia Colony 2 - 1 Stalk

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Corrals, added the Green Hammer Coral today. Pics arnt that great. Added a atenic LED reef bright bar, and changed the atenic bulb in the t5 to a second white 10k .
One of these is actually a snail that came with a bonus fan worm.
DSCN1027.JPG

DSCN1028.JPG

DSCN1029.JPG
DSCN1030.JPG

DSCN1032.JPG

DSCN1033.JPG

DSCN1034.JPG

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454713265.836856.jpg
tank in its location after moving it earlier this week. Had a difficult time cleaning parts and some part unable to clean at all; so moved it to the end of the kitchen island where it meets my living room. So now I have a 360° view of the tank now as well as the ability to clean it easily.

Live stock (fish and corals) photos coming soon.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch out for that Xenia, its too pretty of a coral to be so cheap, mine has started to take over the tank because i started with a large amount and now can't move it because it has stuck itself all over the tank. Tank looks great though.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started culturing copeapods in 1 liter bottles along with phytoplantkin in 500ml water bottles. Id add a pic but its in a bathroom and its not at all impressive lol. I add some where around 100-200 copeapods a day. Working out so far pretty good... have a small fuge and some chato.. watching him every day to make sure hes not losing weight. Have some artic pods in the fridge just in case.

OP
OP
Nibejeebies

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im keeping an eye on the Xenia, Waiting for it to plant and start attaching to that rock, I have another just like it thats in the fudge I'll move it to where it sits by itself with no other rocks near it... but I I know some people thats willing to take it some of it once it gets to much... along with my next planed tank lol.

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great and good luck the best advice I can give I be patient, and set up a QT for any fish and coral you wish to add.
It was a lesson hard learned for myself, and well worth the little extra investment.

Back