Parameter Testing differences

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a general question for everyone,

If the same parameter (say nitrates) gets tested with two different test kits and the results are drastically different, which one do you go by? For this example well say test kit A gives a reading of 4ppm and test kit B gives a reading of 40. After conducting the tests 3 times each the results stay the same with minor varience to both tests. And for this example well say that API tests were not used at all. Curious to see everyone's train of thought.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tray21 I think first and foremost is the reputation of the representative companies. Then I would look at experation dates if the test is reagent based. Dates further out being better. Then I would look at the testing methodolgy. More manual for me is more desirable.

I like to have two different testing methodologies when I am trying to compare. For example for pH one would be conductivity and the other would be reagent based.

This I think is where ICPs can really shine.

You can never really be sure and I find that relative is better than absolute. I also try to work in sloppiness in testing as part of my methodolgy when approaching problems.

Back