Parameters .. is okay for sps?

RichardNeoOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys .. i have my Nano and the parameters are stable for a while now … so i wanna start putting SPS … please share your Knowledge with me
These are my Parameters so far.

Temp 26.5c 79.5

Salinity [Milwaukee] 1025

PH [Salifert] 8.2-8.3

Amonia [Salifert] 0

Nitrite [Salifert] 0

Nitrate [Hanna LR] 5.00 ppm

Phophate [ Hanna LR] 0.13 ppm

KH [Hanna] 11 DkH

CA [ Red Sea Pro] 450

MG [ red Sea Pro ] 1440

What you guys think ?

Share your knowledge with me please .

9AA66B21-9972-4915-9AD1-2C9B30ECDE4A.jpeg

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is "awhile now"? SPS love stability and maturity, even stable but new tanks should probably wait aside from the most hardy SPS.

How old is the tank and what SPS did you have in mind? What is your lighting and flow situation like? More than just parameters for SPS too :)

Edit to add yes those parameters should be fine, as below mentioned PO4 might benefit being more 0.05-0.08 area but you're not far off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RichardNeoOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those look fine. I like phosphate to be slightly lower but you can keep sps with that. Just make sure you don't bottom out on nitrate with high Thank you !
How long is "awhile now"? SPS love stability and maturity, even stable but new tanks should probably wait aside from the most hardy SPS.

How old is the tank and what SPS did you have in mind? What is your lighting and flow situation like? More than just parameters for SPS too :)

Edit to add yes those parameters should be fine, as below mentioned PO4 might benefit being more 0.05-0.08 area but you're not far off.
The tank is reaching 3 months next week after cycle ... i start with alive rock and substrate .. i drop bacteria and copepods due the cycling …
I had a Ai Prime sol .. but i Upgrade to AI Hydra 32 HD .. u can reach par 700 in my tank size if i want .. but im running ahe at 30%-45% so far**
For circulation.. i have the AI Nero 3 in Random Mode 30%-45% around 1000-1350GPH.. plus the Canister.. but i dont count with Canister..
I also have a Back Up Vortech MP10 .
My Tank are 12”x12”x12”

OP
OP
R

RichardNeoOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with something cheaper like monti cap, and see how it goes.

start small

Corraline present?

its natural from the old system … came with the pink algae… but didn’t disappear.. ao i dont know for real if it grown or maintain

i got a frag of Confetti from a Local store for like 20$ .. so far are still Pink have alot of extended polips .. and watermelon color .

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys .. i have my Nano and the parameters are stable for a while now … so i wanna start putting SPS … please share your Knowledge with me
These are my Parameters so far.

Temp 26.5c 79.5

Salinity [Milwaukee] 1025

PH [Salifert] 8.2-8.3

Amonia [Salifert] 0

Nitrite [Salifert] 0

Nitrate [Hanna LR] 5.00 ppm

Phophate [ Hanna LR] 0.13 ppm

KH [Hanna] 11 DkH

CA [ Red Sea Pro] 450

MG [ red Sea Pro ] 1440

What you guys think ?

Share your knowledge with me please .

9AA66B21-9972-4915-9AD1-2C9B30ECDE4A.jpeg
The parameters are fine, although phosphate should come down a little to 0.05 or so.

However, chemical parameters are the easy part.

The difficult part is the complex biodiversity that SPS coral require, and that is something that builds up over time. Sorry there is no bottle of magic stuff that can help.

Normally tanks that have been running a year or so have built up the diversity required, simply by the addition of other animals such as Soft and LPS coral and fish/inverts.

Patience is important fo success in this hobby. Add stuff slowly and let the tank mature.
I think 3 months is way too soon.

OP
OP
R

RichardNeoOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters are fine, although phosphate should come down a little to 0.05 or so.

The difficult part is the complex biodiversity that SPS coral require, and that is something that builds up over time. Sorry there is no bottle of magic stuff that can help.

Normally tanks that have been running a year or so have built up the diversity required, simply by the addition of other animals such as Soft and LPS coral and fish/inverts.

Patience is important fo success in this hobby. Add stuff slowly and let the tank mature.
thank you for your advice ! i will take consideration and apply to the speed to put the sps.

OP
OP
R

RichardNeoOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say alkalinity is above average a little.

Phosphates are a little high.
... im from brasil... and around 10 years ago i had a reef tank and there we run dkh at 10-12 ... i think is the red sea coral pro salt... i always use this salt and always been above the average .. in kh mg and calcium ... if the kh be stable with the red sea salt ... im fine in run at 10.5-11 ... stable... phosphate im put a macroagae reactor like 1 week ago .. it may drop a bit ... i hope so..

thank you for your tip!

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora's, Digitata's, Stylophora's and Pocillopora's are all hardy and easy SPS to start with. I've always had good luck with Bird Nests too but I've heard some people have them just melt. I'd go with whatever of those you can get cheapest, see how it goes. Tank is new yes but if you transferred a fair amount and are keeping things consistent some of the easier SPS I think would be alright, just don't be too shocked if you need a couple month's more for them to really take off.

OP
OP
R

RichardNeoOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora's, Digitata's, Stylophora's and Pocillopora's are all hardy and easy SPS to start with. I've always had good luck with Bird Nests too but I've heard some people have them just melt. I'd go with whatever of those you can get cheapest, see how it goes. Tank is new yes but if you transferred a fair amount and are keeping things consistent some of the easier SPS I think would be alright, just don't be too shocked if you need a couple month's more for them to really take off.
thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What evidence do you have that a tank needs biodiversity for an sps to live?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back