OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable pH or higher pH?

Higher pH can be obtained many ways, such as fresher air to the room, high pH alk supplements, growing macroalgae, or aeration with low CO2 air (outside air, CO2 scrubber, etc).
My ph is stable at the moment but not really at a desirable level, I want to increase it to about 8.4
I increased the amount of fresher air into the room and increassed aeration, I also run a skimmer which helps with aeration

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph is stable at the moment but not really at a desirable level, I want to increase it to about 8.4
I increased the amount of fresher air into the room and increassed aeration, I also run a skimmer which helps with aeration

Unless the alk is high, pH 8.4 means a deficiency in CO2, and aeration with normal or high CO2 air will work against that..

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought so, surely using RODI should be accurate because you know the salinity of it just like you know the salinity of a 1.025 solution, will look into this. thanks

Well, no. That logic is not entirely correct, just like it is not very sensible to calibrate a thermometer at absolute zero. It is always best to calibrate analytical devices near the value of interest to measure.

The DD ocean claims to be a true seawater refractometer (unlike many sold to hobbyists) so if it is perfectly made and perfectly calibrated with Ro/Di, it will read 35 ppt correctly.

However, even if it is made imperfectly, if it is calibrated at 35 ppt, it will still read 35 ppt correctly. No reason to not use 35 ppt, if you have a quality standard.

The larger problem arises with refractometers that are not true seawater refractometers, but simple brine (NaCl) refractometers resold to hobbyists to use in seawater, where they were not designed to work. In that case, calibration with RO/DI is erroneous, and calibrating with a 35 ppt standard solves both the faulty design problem and imperfections in manufacturing.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no. That logic is not entirely correct, just like it is not very sensible to calibrate a thermometer at absolute zero. It is always best to calibrate analytical devices near the value of interest to measure.

The DD ocean claims to be a true seawater refractometer (unlike many sold to hobbyists) so if it is perfectly made and perfectly calibrated with Ro/Di, it will read 35 ppt correctly.

However, even if it is made imperfectly, if it is calibrated at 35 ppt, it will still read 35 ppt correctly. No reason to not use 35 ppt, if you have a quality standard.

The larger problem arises with refractometers that are not true seawater refractometers, but simple brine (NaCl) refractometers resold to hobbyists to use in seawater, where they were not designed to work. In that case, calibration with RO/DI is erroneous, and calibrating with a 35 ppt standard solves both the faulty design problem and imperfections in manufacturing.
Wow ok
Thats interesting
I will fix that then

I also picked up some aquaforest kh buffer and things are looking better and I'm testing alk and just monitoring atm, I cut the nitrates by about half also

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good.

Happy reefing. :)
Thanks
One last thing that I was curious about

16908317647235885554582077410153.jpg

Does this frogspawn look healthy, I am curious since that past few days it looked a little off and that is what made me double check alkalinity, since the increase of alkalinity it seems better today.

Alex’s_Mini_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m late to the party , and rather not make a duplicate post talking about the the same thing. So with this True Seawater Refractometer you shouldn’t need to use any 35ppt to calibrate it RO-DI Should be more than plenty. I currently bought one from you guys and have noticed when measured with RODI and tested against a Hanna Tester I get pretty close results 1.025 on both but when using AccuraSea 35ppt solution it read it’s 33.5 on both devices . I was a bit confused which was correct. I just ordered some solution off your website in hopes it read close to 35ppt to check against. Please advise what I Should trust more Rodi or the solution sold online

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m late to the party , and rather not make a duplicate post talking about the the same thing. So with this True Seawater Refractometer you shouldn’t need to use any 35ppt to calibrate it RO-DI Should be more than plenty. I currently bought one from you guys and have noticed when measured with RODI and tested against a Hanna Tester I get pretty close results 1.025 on both but when using AccuraSea 35ppt solution it read it’s 33.5 on both devices . I was a bit confused which was correct. I just ordered some solution off your website in hopes it read close to 35ppt to check against. Please advise what I Should trust more Rodi or the solution sold online

Not sure whose web site you are referring to about buying one as Reef2Reef does not sell stuff, and I also do not, but I'll just add that IF a 35 ppt solution is correctly made, it will always lead to proper calibration at 35 ppt, regardless of the brand or type of refractometer, or even if it is perfectly manufactured or not. If the solution is not correctly made, calibration may be off.

On the other hand, using pure fresh water with a perfectly manufactured true seawater refractometer will give correct calibration at any salinity, but if the refractometer is not perfectly made the calibration at 0 ppt may not result in perfect calibration at 35 ppt.

So that leaves one with a decision when using a true seawater refractometer: is the refractometer perfectly manufactured and/or can I get (buy or make) a correctly made calibration fluid,.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back