View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my water parameters have been out of balance

nitrate: 50ppm
pH: 7.8
Alk: 6.5dkh

any help on how to lower nitrates and increase ph and alkalinity would be greatly appreciated
I test nitrate with salifert and ph and alk with red sea, any tips on reading the results more accurately would also be appreciated (I can just never settle on what the reading is with slight colour differrences)

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface aggitation increases pH. In order to amp up it further up you can add some baking soda (not baking powder). This will also increase your Alk. To lower nitrates, either use something which filters nitrates, consumes nitrates (bacteria for example) or water changes. A water change will also help oujt with the other parameters.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface aggitation increases pH. In order to amp up it further up you can add some baking soda (not baking powder). This will also increase your Alk. To lower nitrates, either use something which filters nitrates, consumes nitrates (bacteria for example) or water changes. A water change will also help oujt with the other parameters.
Thanks,
I was actually working on surface agitation earlier today and tried to attatch the "duckbill" return pump nozzle instead of the random flow generator since that creates for agitation but the manufacturer of my return pump didn't ship the thread to attach it to the pipe so I am searching for that

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the alkalinity of the water you’re using for water changes. If it’s lower than it’s supposed to be you may find your salinity is low. How are you measuring salinity?

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the alkalinity of the water you’re using for water changes. If it’s lower than it’s supposed to be you may find your salinity is low. How are you measuring salinity?
salinity is at 1.025 and using a refractometer to measure
I will check for salinity of the new saltwater and then compare to tank water

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk in new saltwater is 8dkh
alk drops significantly when I test tank water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Surface agitation may either raise or lower pH, and may have different effects at different times of the day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my water parameters have been out of balance

nitrate: 50ppm
pH: 7.8
Alk: 6.5dkh

any help on how to lower nitrates and increase ph and alkalinity would be greatly appreciated
I test nitrate with salifert and ph and alk with red sea, any tips on reading the results more accurately would also be appreciated (I can just never settle on what the reading is with slight colour differrences)

Ignore pH for now. Boost alk with sodium carbonate. There are lots of different suitable ways to lower nitrate.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS calculator comes up with this, if you choose to use bicarbonate of soda to raise alkalinity, best to check it out for yourself though; Assuming tank is still 85 liters and you want it raised to your fresh saltwater alkalinity;

6F8296FD-AEC9-41FF-A31E-A5B0D67C5969.jpeg

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS calculator comes up with this, if you choose to use bicarbonate of soda to raise alkalinity, best to check it out for yourself though; Assuming tank is still 85 liters and you want it raised to your fresh saltwater alkalinity;

6F8296FD-AEC9-41FF-A31E-A5B0D67C5969.jpeg
Thanks for the help

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem :) Are you calibrating your refractometer with RODI water?
I calibrate it after use with RODI, I have heard things about that you should use correct calibration solution but my refractometer came with RODI water for calibration and no 1.025 calibration solution, is this right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the best way to get a stable ph

Stable pH or higher pH?

Higher pH can be obtained many ways, such as fresher air to the room, high pH alk supplements, growing macroalgae, or aeration with low CO2 air (outside air, CO2 scrubber, etc).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate it after use with RODI, I have heard things about that you should use correct calibration solution but my refractometer came with RODI water for calibration and no 1.025 calibration solution, is this right?
Which refractometer?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back