Parameters out of wack and tank is failing

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a problem for there to still be water in the bottom of the barrel when ive done my water change?

No, I have a 155 gallon container that I never completely empty that I make saltwater in. Every few years I will clean it out, but that’s more by choice and not by necessity

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it a problem for there to still be water in the bottom of the barrel when ive done my water change?

I am not sure what you mean.
I make just enough water each week to cover my water change and ATO needs
There’s always some left over in the bucket.....I add to next weeks batch.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me there’s a lot of stuff going on.
When all parameters are in range and stable, everthing will come into balance.

May I suggest the following targets to achieve and maintain and this can only be done through testing regularly.

Salinity 1.025-1.026
Temp 78-79
Nitrate 2-10ppm
Phosphate 0.03-.2
Alk 8-8.5 dkh
Ca 420-440 ppm
Mg 1300-1360 ppm

When any one of these is off, things get nasty.
Find a salt which is as close as possible.
Make sure you tumble the dry salt mix.
Make a small batch with your 0 TDS RODI water and use your tests to ensure all are in range.
Record these numbers on a worksheet as the target parameters.
Do a 10% water change every week....no misses for now
Retest weekly at the same time and record your findings.
Hopefully, each time you test, you should be getting closer to the target parameters.
If not, retest ones which are not going in the correct dir3ction to ensure not a testing error.
If something shows up or is constantly going in the wrong direction.....post for us to look at.

Stay safe
thank you i will do this and continue to post my results

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are worried about mixing the fritz with the red sea salt, it may be in your best interest to dump the fritz water out, just so you aren’t increasing the parameters of the red sea salt. Sorry I misinterpreted your question. I would test what’s left in the container and see what the calcium level is and what the alkalinity is first. :)

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you mean.
I make just enough water each week to cover my water change and ATO needs
There’s always some left over in the bucket.....I add to next weeks batch.
i have a 75 gallon barrel that i use for salt and since ive changed it im wondering if it will effect anything should i clean it out because right at the bulkhead is where the water line is and i cant fully drain the barrel

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have a 155 gallon container that I never completely empty that I make saltwater in. Every few years I will clean it out, but that’s more by choice and not by necessity

Rick,
I agree with the Red Sea Blue Bucket.

Thanks so much for putting your heart in, to help MACHO.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about mixing the fritz with the red sea salt, it may be in your best interest to dump the fritz water out, just so you aren’t increasing the parameters of the red sea salt. Sorry I misinterpreted your question. I would test what’s left in the container and see what the calcium level is and what the alkalinity is first. :)
okay i guess ill be up late tonight lol

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I do is use two identical containers ( #1 & #2) for the water change and a third (#3) container for the freshly mixed salt water that I make the night before. Use bucket #1 for “waste water” that you’ll siphon out. Put another bucket (#2) next to it on the floor and fill it with the new salt water from bucket #3 until it’s exactly the same height as the water in the waste bucket. I use a plastic ruler for this. When you have #1 & #2 matched up, pour #2 into the tank and you’re done. #2 will be completely empty. It’s ok if #3 has some saltwater left in it. If you’re doing weekly water changes, this reservoir is being continually replenished.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using an ATO to top up?
If you are great, if not, this is an important piece of equipment for stability.
Changes in salinity is real bad as it effects the value of other parameters.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay i guess ill be up late tonight lol

If it tests out within the range that Uncle99 gave you then you don’t need to dump it out or order new salt! If it’s high in both regards I would go ahead and dump it out and use the Red Sea Salt until things come back in line :)

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is use two identical containers ( #1 & #2) for the water change and a third (#3) container for the freshly mixed salt water that I make the night before. Use bucket #1 for “waste water” that you’ll siphon out. Put another bucket (#2) next to it on the floor and fill it with the new salt water from bucket #3 until it’s exactly the same height as the water in the waste bucket. I use a plastic ruler for this. When you have #1 & #2 matched up, pour #2 into the tank and you’re done. #2 will be completely empty.
lol my tank is too big for that i use almost 100 gallons of water and have 2 75 gallon barrels in the garage that are plumbed together

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it tests out within the range that Uncle99 gave you then you don’t need to dump it out or order new salt! If it’s high in both regards I would go ahead and dump it out and use the Red Sea Salt until things come back in line :)
hopefully my lfs is open tomorrow haha

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say water changes are too much lower percentages if weekly. Like 5%. I don't dose or check for anything and my coral seem to do well. Just my w/c every few months and I'll throw some 2part in it weekly if I remember. Too much change with weekly changes of that amount. Maybe cut back some feeding if you don't have a over stocked tank for nitrate problem, imo

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol my tank is too big for that i use almost 100 gallons of water and have 2 75 gallon barrels in the garage that are plumbed together

I think it gets the point where carrying buckets isn’t going to happen

Ah, but keep in mind a 10% wc is only going
to be 20 gallons on a 200 gallon system. Still a lot of weight to move around compared to the 5 gallon water changes I do on my 65g system, lol. Big tanks sure are fun.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it gets the point where carrying buckets isn’t going to happen

Ah, but keep in mind a 10% wc is only going
to be 20 gallons on a 200 gallon system. Still a lot of weight to move around compared to the 5 gallon water changes I do on my 65g system, lol. Big tanks sure are fun.
indeed they are

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back