Paranoid about cross contamination in DT - what does "swimming into flow of a powerhead" entail?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a loss in QT, I'm paranoid I may have absent mindedly contaminated the DT by feeding the DT after feeding QT without washing up well enough.

Fish are all eating well and active. I've noticed some of the fish apparently "tagging" the powerhead once in a while. One of them will pop up into the flow of the powerhead and immediately dart away. A few minutes later another one will do the same, etc.

When people talk about fish swimming into flow, do they mean darting into the flow of a powerhead very briefly, or swimming against the flow for extended (more than three or four seconds) periods of time?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swimming into the powerhead flow for an extended period is what my fish did when my tank got marine velvet also they had visual appearance of disease ie dusty look with covered sugar like spots all over and others were hiding from the light once the outbreak started within 2 days 6 of my 8 fish were dead tried to save 2 but they ultimately died in QT

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a behavior associated with velvet. But what you are describing is not that.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish will absentmindedly swim toward the powerhead and get zoomed across the tank. I think sometimes fish just forget where the current is and poof they go for a ride

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back