Parasite help

hawkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help trying to figure out what kind of parasite this is. I introduced an eel and my own fault for not paying enough attention immediately. He is covered in some sort of parasite that is now reproducing. Not sure what it is so not sure how to treat it. They have started to latch on to all my other fish. Threw a few in RO water and they don’t seem to mind it at all. I’m currently moving everything to a quarantine tank and going to prazi pro dip them along with completely tearing down the current tank and restarting it up. Find the pictures attached the video link and let me know what your thoughts are. I will as update this once I do the dip to see if they kill them https://youtube.com/shorts/4VcIu27FlcA?feature=share

Last edited:
OP
OP
hawkie

hawkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help trying to figure out what kind of parasite this is. I introduced an eel and my own fault for not paying enough attention immediately. He is covered in some sort of parasite that is now reproducing. Not sure what it is so not sure how to treat it. They have started to latch on to all my other fish. Threw a few in RO water and they don’t seem to mind it at all. I’m currently moving everything to a quarantine tank and going to prosi pro dip them along with completely tearing down the current tank and restarting it up. Find the video attached and let me know what your thoughts are. I will as update this once I do the dip to see if they kill of

5AFA9BE4-6AA7-45C0-AB0F-8470C716ABB6.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    7 MB
OP
OP
hawkie

hawkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the reef... :) let's get some expert help here for you..
@Jay Hemdal @lion king @vetteguy53081 TIA. best wishes.
Thank you it isn’t looking great and the shop claims that it couldn’t be from them even though I only got him a week ago and my tank was doing fine the last 6 months prior, along with noticing them immediately after dropping him in

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are common one moray eels, it is their fault for not knowing. I am pretty sure prazi can treat these. Jay will have a much better answer. I don't believe they'll target anything else but eels.

I'm probably wrong. Since they are on you other fish

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking anchor worms, and prazipro will treat them. You need to treat the tank. I would say most certainly they came in on him from the lfs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like Piscicolidae Worms which are a type of Round worm that are not common and can be treated with formalin dips using quick cure. Once theyre removed, watch for infections in the areas the worms were attached.

OP
OP
hawkie

hawkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this help but I was looking closely at the glass and there are small larva what are very white and it appears to be several hundred if not a 1000

OP
OP
hawkie

hawkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two doses of prazipro, you'll know if it works almost right away. 2nd dose 5 days later for any hatched eggs.
Now with the prazi should I be doing a dip or put it into the tank physically. I myself have never used it but have heard mixed answer on how to use it

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now with the prazi should I be doing a dip or put it into the tank physically. I myself have never used it but have heard mixed answer on how to use it

You need to dose the tank, 1 teas per 20g of water volume. Take care to count for displacement and dose to water volume. Turn off skimmer but make sure water has movement and surface break for aeration. Pp is usually very safe but many overdose this product because they fail to count for displacement. You may want to do a water change prior to 2nd dose because of die off, and even remove ones that you see dead, I'm not sure if it kills the eggs, that why a 2nd dose is probably a good idea, to get any eggs that hatched.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this help but I was looking closely at the glass and there are small larva what are very white and it appears to be several hundred if not a 1000

The picture isn't really clear enough to say with certainty - but I think @vetteguy53081 has it identified correctly - Pisicolid leeches. Praziquantel won't help with these. Here is an excerpt from my upcoming fish disease book:

Leeches (Pisicola, Myzobdella, Piscicolidae and many related species)

Cause

Leeches are segmented parasitic worms that belong to the phylum Annelida and belong to the subclass Hirudinea. Common fish parasites seen in wild collected freshwater fish, they are rarely seen in marine aquarium fishes. They are external blood feeders and can be found on the fish’s fins, skin, gills or mouth. They have a sucker at each end, and are segmented. This differentiates them from trematodes.

Symptoms
In virtually all instances, aside from the visual presence of the worms themselves, the only visual symptom seen would be general anemia. Leeches are also suspected of transferring other diseases to fish due to their feeding habits.

Diagnosis
Except for cryptic gill-dwelling species, leeches are easily diagnosed by visual exam. In many cases, the leech will be attached by only the feeding sucker, with the other end of the worm free. Goldfish and koi held in outdoor ponds frequently develop leech infestations in the spring. In marine aquariums, various gobies seem prone to leech infestations.

Treatment
Manual removal is one treatment that is often suggested for leeches. However, due to the physical damage that can occur while restraining a fish and removing these parasites, chemical bath treatments are preferred. Remember however, as with trematodes, if the leech infestation is severe, and the treatment causes all of the leeches to leave the fish at the same time, many small lesions will be present in the fish’s skin. In some cases, blood loss from these open lesions, combined with the fish already likely being in an anemic state, will cause mortality.

A common treatment suggested to control leeches is the organophosphate insecticide, trichlorfon (Masoten, Dylox). The typical dose given ranges from 0.75 to 1 mg/l. This chemical is very dangerous to humans and can cause adverse reactions in sensitive fishes. Therefore, its use is not recommended here. A slightly better alternative (not as effective and only slightly less toxic) is a high dose formalin bath. In warmwater fishes, the treatment would be 150 to 167 ppm formalin in water for 45 minutes to one hour, under good aeration. If fish are suspected to be sensitive to formalin, elect to use the lower dose and the shorter time frame to begin with. Subsequent treatments will be necessary as many leeches are egg layers, and second or even third treatment will be required after the eggs hatch out. For sensitive fishes, an osmotic differential bath can be attempted (5 to 7 minute dip in either freshwater or seawater).

Jay

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The picture isn't really clear enough to say with certainty - but I think @vetteguy53081 has it identified correctly - Pisicolid leeches. Praziquantel won't help with these. Here is an excerpt from my upcoming fish disease book:

Cause

Leeches are segmented parasitic worms that belong to the phylum Annelida and belong to the subclass Hirudinea. Common fish parasites seen in wild collected freshwater fish, they are rarely seen in marine aquarium fishes. They are external blood feeders and can be found on the fish’s fins, skin, gills or mouth. They have a sucker at each end, and are segmented. This differentiates them from trematodes.

Symptoms
In virtually all instances, aside from the visual presence of the worms themselves, the only visual symptom seen would be general anemia. Leeches are also suspected of transferring other diseases to fish due to their feeding habits.

Diagnosis
Except for cryptic gill-dwelling species, leeches are easily diagnosed by visual exam. In many cases, the leech will be attached by only the feeding sucker, with the other end of the worm free. Goldfish and koi held in outdoor ponds frequently develop leech infestations in the spring. In marine aquariums, various gobies seem prone to leech infestations.

Treatment
Manual removal is one treatment that is often suggested for leeches. However, due to the physical damage that can occur while restraining a fish and removing these parasites, chemical bath treatments are preferred. Remember however, as with trematodes, if the leech infestation is severe, and the treatment causes all of the leeches to leave the fish at the same time, many small lesions will be present in the fish’s skin. In some cases, blood loss from these open lesions, combined with the fish already likely being in an anemic state, will cause mortality.

A common treatment suggested to control leeches is the organophosphate insecticide, trichlorfon (Masoten, Dylox). The typical dose given ranges from 0.75 to 1 mg/l. This chemical is very dangerous to humans and can cause adverse reactions in sensitive fishes. Therefore, its use is not recommended here. A slightly better alternative (not as effective and only slightly less toxic) is a high dose formalin bath. In warmwater fishes, the treatment would be 150 to 167 ppm formalin in water for 45 minutes to one hour, under good aeration. If fish are suspected to be sensitive to formalin, elect to use the lower dose and the shorter time frame to begin with. Subsequent treatments will be necessary as many leeches are egg layers, and second or even third treatment will be required after the eggs hatch out. For sensitive fishes, an osmotic differential bath can be attempted (5 to 7 minute dip in either freshwater or seawater).

Jay
brilliant...my first thought was leeches, never knew in SW,thanks Jay...:)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say if it is leeches you are........ Personally I would dose pp and if they started to die I would be thankful. If not then good luck. I would always go with the simplest safest course first. And not jump to the rare, if it 8s leeches then watch out, this hobby will get another dark blow. Because it won't be long before it's not rare anymore. My money still on an anchor worm.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hate to say if it is leeches you are........ Personally I would dose pp and if they started to die I would be thankful. If not then good luck. I would always go with the simplest safest course first. And not jump to the rare, if it 8s leeches then watch out, this hobby will get another dark blow. Because it won't be long before it's not rare anymore. My money still on an anchor worm.
I agree with you, that will be so dreadful.

OP
OP
hawkie

hawkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cause

Symptoms

Diagnosis

Treatment

Jay
Thanks jay! I’m not sure if you also checked out the video but I got a couple clearer picture for you as well if this gives a a guaranteed answer, although from what you have said I think you nailed it which makes thing way more complicated for me.

Attachments

• CDBE03C2-57CA-43E4-B5CD-8DD012536DB3.png
    CDBE03C2-57CA-43E4-B5CD-8DD012536DB3.png
    447.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 88B029A8-088A-44F2-9480-4018D29099F1.png
    88B029A8-088A-44F2-9480-4018D29099F1.png
    341 KB · Views: 73

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay! I’m not sure if you also checked out the video but I got a couple clearer picture for you as well if this gives a a guaranteed answer, although from what you have said I think you nailed it which makes thing way more complicated for me.
Yeah that’s them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back