Parasite ID on clownfish

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying these spots on my clownfish. They look like whispy gray blotches on top of the skin. Irregular shape. They have had these spots for a couple weeks. Doesn’t look like ich velvet or brook to me but I could be wrong. The video makes the spots look more circular than they look in person. The 2 clownfish have been in my tank for around 6 weeks and are the only fish in the tank. I haven’t noticed any irregular behavior and they are both eating very well multiple times a day. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need help identifying these spots on my clownfish. They look like whispy gray blotches on top of the skin. Irregular shape. They have had these spots for a couple weeks. Doesn’t look like ich velvet or brook to me but I could be wrong. The video makes the spots look more circular than they look in person. The 2 clownfish have been in my tank for around 6 weeks and are the only fish in the tank. I haven’t noticed any irregular behavior and they are both eating very well multiple times a day. Any help is appreciated!
These are lesions often visible with clown disease known as Brooklynella. This mucus associated with brook generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell off the spots have changed location and changed in numbers over these two weeks? Are there any spots on the fins themselves?
I think these are flukes, but I want to rule out “stale ich” first.
Jay

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell off the spots have changed location and changed in numbers over these two weeks? Are there any spots on the fins themselves?
Jay
From what i can tell the spots have not changed locations once spotted. There are a couple directly on the fins. Thank you for the reply!

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are lesions often visible with clown disease known as Brooklynella. This mucus associated with brook generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials
Thank you for the reply. I was hoping it wasn't brook. I appreciate the help

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Jay, do you think it would be a good idea to do a freshwater dip to see if anything falls off, confirming flukes. Then go with a brook treatment if the dip doesn't confirm flukes?
Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, do you think it would be a good idea to do a freshwater dip to see if anything falls off, confirming flukes. Then go with a brook treatment if the dip doesn't confirm flukes?
Thanks
I looked at the video again, I just am not seeing Brook here - if it was, I would expect the fish to be swimming more "mopey" and the white mucus being more in sheets and not discrete spots. That said, the fish are moving a lot in the video and the blue color makes it difficult to see.

A FW dip is only going to confirm flukes for one species, Neobenedenia, the other flukes are too small to see without a microscope.

If you can post a video under whiter light where the clowns are a bit slower, I might be able to see more, but at this point, given the symptoms and timeline, I'm thinking flukes. Brooklynella would have progressed further in 2 weeks and ich would likely have also.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Bryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the video again, I just am not seeing Brook here - if it was, I would expect the fish to be swimming more "mopey" and the white mucus being more in sheets and not discrete spots. That said, the fish are moving a lot in the video and the blue color makes it difficult to see.

A FW dip is only going to confirm flukes for one species, Neobenedenia, the other flukes are too small to see without a microscope.

If you can post a video under whiter light where the clowns are a bit slower, I might be able to see more, but at this point, given the symptoms and timeline, I'm thinking flukes. Brooklynella would have progressed further in 2 weeks and ich would likely have also.

Jay
Thank you Jay
Here's a video under white lights. At the 35-40 second mark you can really see the shape of these lesions and how far they are protruding off the body. I did notice the darker clown shake his head during feeding this morning. I don't want to risk stressing out the fish more than necessary but also want to start treatments soon. If you're thinking flukes, maybe start with Prazi? Let me know what you think with that video. Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay
Here's a video under white lights. At the 35-40 second mark you can really see the shape of these lesions and how far they are protruding off the body. I did notice the darker clown shake his head during feeding this morning. I don't want to risk stressing out the fish more than necessary but also want to start treatments soon. If you're thinking flukes, maybe start with Prazi? Let me know what you think with that video. Thank you!

Yes, this new video is leaning me even more towards flukes in this case.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back