Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail_IMG_3390.png
thumbnail_IMG_3393.jpg

Does my fish have ich/velvet and an internal parasite? He's still eating fine and is active. He also sleeps near the sand too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
thumbnail_IMG_3390.png
thumbnail_IMG_3393.jpg

Does my fish have ich/velvet and an internal parasite? He's still eating fine and is active. He also sleeps near the sand too.
Pics are fuzzy and more white light needed. Preliminarily may be ick. Dots too big to be velvet and could even be sand.
Need better pics and even a video

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are fuzzy and more white light needed. Preliminarily may be ick. Dots too big to be velvet and could even be sand.
Need better pics and even a

Need better pics and even a video
I'll try to get better pics. I can't post videos for some reason on this site. I was thinking sand. What about the poop hanging out of him? parasite?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'll try to get better pics. I can't post videos for some reason on this site. I was thinking sand. What about the poop hanging out of him? parasite?
Possibly mucus in his tummy especially if youre feeding mysis and brine shrimp

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Brine shrimp. Interesting I didn't know. Is the mucus harmful?
No - Just makes a lot of fish owners panic However can be associated with internal parasites but fish will be thin, loss of appetite and even lethargic. Also present at times with constipation.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
B3DDB68E-F3D2-4DA0-84A2-43CE761EF9DE.jpeg
34CC2393-1093-4204-AD9A-5371058A60B4.jpeg
EF60D555-4361-4EC9-A3F1-10CE4AAD1056.jpeg
45D8B588-816C-4540-ACAC-C81800D7D810.jpeg
E8441CD6-EB30-42A8-A730-D006FE3A3E40.jpeg

he won’t stop moving lol
Pics still fuzzy but can make out what appears to be idiopathic mucus plugs and likely cryptocaryon which is Marine Ich and a freshwater dip will offer temporary relief IF fish is not breathing heavily. After dip, You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics still fuzzy but can make out what appears to be idiopathic mucus plugs and likely cryptocaryon which is Marine Ich and a freshwater dip will offer temporary relief IF fish is not breathing heavily. After dip, You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Wrasses don’t do well with copper though. Can ich live on snails/corals?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wrasses don’t do well with copper though. Can ich live on snails/corals?
While they can, rare that its transferred. Wrasses can be treated with copper but best with chelated ( which I listed . . cooper power or coppersafe) and at lower level 2.0 which I indicated asmost fish are 2.5 and Added aeration

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have
While they can, rare that it’s transferred. Wrasses can be treated with copper but best with chelated ( which I listed . . cooper power or coppersafe) and at lower level 2.0 which I indicated asmost fish are 2.5 and Added aeration
Ok I have copper power. Just need to get a kit. The current tank they are in is going to be upgraded. Was going to use that as a qt going forward but my build is taking longer than expected. Would a 10 gallon qt be ok for a small clown, the wrasse, and bicolor blenny? The wrasse is the only one showing parasite. Also when ammonia is detected do I do a large wc 50 percent or 20 percent? Will an ammonia alert badge be enough?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok I have

Ok I have copper power. Just need to get a kit. The current tank they are in is going to be upgraded. Was going to use that as a qt going forward but my build is taking longer than expected. Would a 10 gallon qt be ok for a small clown, the wrasse, and bicolor blenny? The wrasse is the only one showing parasite. Also when ammonia is detected do I do a large wc 50 percent or 20 percent? Will an ammonia alert badge be enough?
Yes on tank and I have ZERO faith in ammonia Badge. I prefer test kits with results
When ammonia detected, mix new water to same therapeutic level and then enter into quarantine.Example. . if QT tank is at 2.24, do your excahne and add copper to New water until its at 2.24 and good to go

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on tank and I have ZERO faith in ammonia Badge. I prefer test kits with results
When ammonia detected, mix new water to same therapeutic level and then enter into quarantine.Example. . if QT tank is at 2.24, do your excahne and add copper to New water until its at 2.24 and good to go
Does copper power mess with ammonia results or is that just for cupramine? Hanna meter would be fine for results while copper dosing?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does copper power mess with ammonia results or is that just for cupramine? Hanna meter would be fine for results while copper dosing?
Hanna best and minimal impact on bacteria

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna best and minimal impact on bacteria
Should I move over some live sand from my current tank to qt? Also do I setup qt, acclimate fish, then add copper? I know for the wrasse some say to take a week getting to therapeutic levels

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Should I move over some live sand from my current tank to qt? Also do I setup qt, acclimate fish, then add copper? I know for the wrasse some say to take a week getting to therapeutic levels
Easiest will be to place a deep bowl with some sand in it for the comfort of wrasse
DO NOT ramp copper, go to treatment level and yes acclimate the fish to quarantine which will introduce it to copper. Start with 2.0 level as wrasses are funny with copper. You can even do 1.78 and in 24-36 hours get to 2.0

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest will be to place a deep bowl with some sand in it for the comfort of wrasse
DO NOT ramp copper, go to treatment level and yes acclimate the fish to quarantine which will introduce it to copper. Start with 2.0 level as wrasses are funny with copper. You can even do 1.78 and in 24-36 hours get to 2.0
He’s the the sand kind he just likes sleeping at the bottom of the tank. What should salinity be? Currently I’m at 1.025.

setup qt, put saltwater in , dose copper, then drip acclimate fish, monitor ammonia and copper for 30 days, and make sure it’s gone and not coming back. By this time the new tank should be cycled and ready for them so I’ll just put them there. I’m not using anything from my tank to the new tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He’s the the sand kind he just likes sleeping at the bottom of the tank. What should salinity be? Currently I’m at 1.025.

setup qt, put saltwater in , dose copper, then drip acclimate fish, monitor ammonia and copper for 30 days, and make sure it’s gone and not coming back. By this time the new tank should be cycled and ready for them so I’ll just put them there. I’m not using anything from my tank to the new tank.
1.025 is my favorite range

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back