Parasite predators introduced with live rock

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a conversation today with Humblefish, we talked about stress, immunity and ich predators in a reef tank.

I asked if uncured diver collected live rock would have ich predators.

“I would love to ID specific “predators” of fish pathogens. To date, I have only found this one study which documented how the nauplii of brine shrimp (Artemia salina) consume Velvet dinospores (free swimmers): https://humble.fish/community/index...loodinium-dinospores-by-artemia-1995-pdf.119/

It makes sense to me that all fish pathogens (all life stages) must have something which preys upon them. And stocking an aquarium with such could be the holy grail to controlling diseases in a captive environment. But which animal, plant, fungi, protist and/or monera are these?? For example, a famous marine scientist (Dr. Angelo Colorni) is sure that certain bacteria “gnaw” on Cryptocaryon tomonts and damage them. But when we talked more about it, he never could identify which species of bacteria would do this. ‍♂️

Who could document the numerous pathogens (bacteria, viruses, parasites) and “predators of pathogens“?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lord knows. Hopefully some day we will too. I would love to find a virus, bacteria, or copepod that would eat, torture, cripple, kill, molest AEFW. Same knowledge for other pests would also be fantastic for helping reef keepers enjoy the hobby more.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

I decided to link our conversation:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along this line, Eli Meyer has mentioned that there are kinds of copepods that eat uronema. Biological controls like this are always going to be hit and miss, so they might be a helpful fortunate circumstance, but I don't think something that a hobbyist could rely on to solve a disease issue.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my blue streak cleaner wrasse cleans potential parasite infections off my fish but I'm only speculating.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For certain, carnivorous cleaner fish eat visible parasites. Watching NatGeo showed cleaner fish going into the open mouth of large grouper.
Yes, I know. But tagging him here is pointless.
Then get a moderator to remove it. it’s past my timeline to edit.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For certain, carnivorous cleaner fish eat visible parasites. Watching NatGeo showed cleaner fish going into the open mouth of large grouper.

Then get a moderator to remove it. it’s past my timeline to edit.
I was just making you aware in case you were expecting him to respond

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While googling marine fish parasites, I was surprised to see copepods.

Copepod​

This parasite affects all groups of marine animals, from the smallest sponge to the largest cetaceans. This parasite has a way of sticking on the body of its guests in the gills, in the outer tissues, in the organs or even in the eyes. As an exemple, the copepod is fixed on the eyes of the Greenland from its birth to its death. The parasite just pumps physiological fluids through a tube making the shark blind. For more information, read: “The 7 weirdest sharks.”

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While googling marine fish parasites, I was surprised to see copepods.

Copepod​

This parasite affects all groups of marine animals, from the smallest sponge to the largest cetaceans. This parasite has a way of sticking on the body of its guests in the gills, in the outer tissues, in the organs or even in the eyes. As an exemple, the copepod is fixed on the eyes of the Greenland from its birth to its death. The parasite just pumps physiological fluids through a tube making the shark blind. For more information, read: “The 7 weirdest sharks.”
These aren't the copepods we put in our tanks. They are sea lice and such. About 1/2 the copepod species are parasitic. Amphipods and isopods have parasitic members too.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

I decided to link our conversation:

Thanks for linking this. I have Pauls book but I had never heard him speak before. I'm gonna finish the video tomorrow its getting past my bed time, and I just got a notification from my dispatch.... :cool:

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for linking this. I have Pauls book but I had never heard him speak before. I'm gonna finish the video tomorrow its getting past my bed time, and I just got a notification from my dispatch.... :cool:
I saw Paul at his home on the North Shore of Long Island one month after interview was made.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any known Hyperparasites?

Recently read a bit about a parasitic ostracod that has a parasitic copepod. I think it was about eating the ostracod eggs and replacing it with it's own copepods eggs.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any known Hyperparasites?

Recently read a bit about a parasitic ostracod that has a parasitic copepod. I think it was about eating the ostracod eggs and replacing it with it's own copepods eggs.
That sounds like a government agency program. "~Nothing new under the sun." Solomon. :thinking-face:

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These aren't the copepods we put in our tanks. They are sea lice and such. About 1/2 the copepod species are parasitic. Amphipods and isopods have parasitic members too.
How do you determine which copepod species is on “live rock”?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your answer opens another point about parasite predators.

Would some of the parasite pods be predators of ich?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“I was speaking with another long-time hobbyist today, and he observed: "Did you notice that back when we used all live rock (the so-called Berlin Method) we didn't have all these virulent fish diseases running amok?" He's right! Nowadays most everyone uses dead "dry rock", and then uses a raw shrimp or doses ammonia to cycle it. Any biodiversity is usually added after the fact via pods, macroalgae, a new coral we add, etc. But that takes time and probably never achieves the same level of biodiversity as found in live rock taken from the ocean.”

“We also discussed how the longer a tank is setup, the more manageable diseases seem to be. Perhaps this is because certain microorganism(s) are finally introduced which prey upon the offending parasites. It's just a pet theory I am looking into, and something I wanted to share with the community. :)
@EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal
Your answer opens another point about parasite predators.

Would some of the parasite pods be predators of ich?
@Lasse

Do European reefers have insight into predator control of marine ich in our ecosystems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back