Parasites and effects

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day fellow reefers, This was a week long question using Google and other threads with no real answer, so lets try reef2reef!

Our 620 gallon broke out with a parasite from a new coral addition, for the type of parasite we went with velvet but also looked like Brooklynela, tho it killed 12 fish in 4 days and the remainder were transferred to qt and are being medicated. We were unable to catch 4 chromies that for some reason are doing absolutely amazing with no side effects.... But how? Anthias died off without any signs but in reality it must have effected the gills. Removal of the remaining chromies has been hell to say even with fish traps and netting, all the rock work was built inside the tank and Removal is nearly impossible. Would anyone have information on why the chromies are still thriving? and how dose one go 90 days fish free without loosing there mind?
Thank you kindly

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good day fellow reefers, This was a week long question using Google and other threads with no real answer, so lets try reef2reef!

Our 620 gallon broke out with a parasite from a new coral addition, for the type of parasite we went with velvet but also looked like Brooklynela, tho it killed 12 fish in 4 days and the remainder were transferred to qt and are being medicated. We were unable to catch 4 chromies that for some reason are doing absolutely amazing with no side effects.... But how? Anthias died off without any signs but in reality it must have effected the gills. Removal of the remaining chromies has been hell to say even with fish traps and netting, all the rock work was built inside the tank and Removal is nearly impossible. Would anyone have information on why the chromies are still thriving? and how dose one go 90 days fish free without loosing there mind?
Thank you kindlyBecause they are hardy fish, and not all fish will show symptoms, or it may take a while to develop! If you know, it was velvet, etc., and it seems like it’s bad, you absolutely need to QT/treat ALL of them reading as it killed 12 fish and go fishless for at least 76 days. The other option would be completely starting over, which sounds terrible, but if you can’t get to them, adding more fish may just kill them, especially if you have a reef tank, as copper is NOT reef-safe. I personally accidentally introduced velvet into my tank a few weeks ago, and I didn’t QT all of them, but instead, I monitored and treated one who’s better now, and back home that being said, I don’t have a massive system, and only the sick fish died. But definitely try your very best to capture them even one by one and entice them with food, and then you could start a fallow period.
Because they are hardy fish (or very lucky), and not all fish will show symptoms, or it may take a while to develop! If you know, it was velvet, etc., and it seems like it’s bad, you absolutely need to QT/treat ALL of them reading as it killed 12 fish and go fishless for at least 76 days. The other option would be completely starting over, which sounds terrible, but if you can’t get to them, adding more fish may just kill them, especially if you have a reef tank, as copper is NOT reef safe. I personally accidentally introduced velvet into my tank a few weeks ago, and I didn’t QT all of them, but instead, I monitored and treated one who’s better now, and back home that being said, I don’t have a massive system, and only the sick fish died. But definitely try your very best to capture them even one by one and entice them with food, and then you can start a fallow period. It’s worth noting that the fish medics will probably offer the same advice as I said because many things are what they told me and what I did. The other option is you could play the game of chance...dosing vitamins and UV sterilizers but that is not 100%. And it sucks but it’s better than losing any new additions and risking a massive tank crash AGAIN. And you can still admire your tank and QT tank. I’m sorry this happened and good luck!

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, tho they are almost the first to go in most parasite infections. That i have studied at least.
When velvet hit our tank we lost one green chromis - the other three were fine. Then over the next few months the others all just disappeared. Now I have a school of six (going on six months), but I got them all at the same time when they were teeny.

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they are hardy fish (or very lucky), and not all fish will show symptoms, or it may take a while to develop! If you know, it was velvet, etc., and it seems like it’s bad, you absolutely need to QT/treat ALL of them reading as it killed 12 fish and go fishless for at least 76 days. The other option would be completely starting over, which sounds terrible, but if you can’t get to them, adding more fish may just kill them, especially if you have a reef tank, as copper is NOT reef safe. I personally accidentally introduced velvet into my tank a few weeks ago, and I didn’t QT all of them, but instead, I monitored and treated one who’s better now, and back home that being said, I don’t have a massive system, and only the sick fish died. But definitely try your very best to capture them even one by one and entice them with food, and then you can start a fallow period. It’s worth noting that the fish medics will probably offer the same advice as I said because many things are what they told me and what I did. The other option is you could play the game of chance...dosing vitamins and UV sterilizers but that is not 100%. And it sucks but it’s better than losing any new additions and risking a massive tank crash AGAIN. And you can still admire your tank and QT tank. I’m sorry this happened and good luck!
You are absolutely right! We try every day still to capture them with not much luck, but will continue. The issue was the diagnosis between velvet or brook, valvet would definitely wipe them out as stated in a few conversations with the vet.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You really need to get all of the fish out of the tank. I had velvet in a 90 predator tank. Lost most of them trying to medicate in QT. Went fallow for 6 weeks or something that I had read. Introduced new fish that I had QT’d while I waited. Day after I introduced them I read on humblefish.com the 76 days. Within 4 days I had a harlequin tusk fish show signs. I did a paraguard dip followed by a freshwater dip lost the harlequin to stress that night, lion fish, porcupine puffer then went into humblefish’s Tank Transfer Method for velvet and survived. My fimbriata eel escaped one of the transfer tanks as the egg crate was cut too large around the hob.
So I learned you have to go fallow and don’t cut any corners.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Thank you kindly
As far as going 90 days fish free. Humblefish.com has a Tank Transfer Method for velvet that might help you save the balance. I believe it was his article that suggested getting so new corals along the way as you are fallow. Can keep you excited and you can really observe them.

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as going 90 days fish free. Humblefish.com has a Tank Transfer Method for velvet that might help you save the balance. I believe it was his article that suggested getting so new corals along the way as you are fallow. Can keep you excited and you can really observe them.
Grate right up!! Definitely need something to keep me interested lol

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back