Parasites

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... So I'm going to try and catch all my fish and put them in a separate tank and run hypo while having the display be fallow for a while to eradicate all parasites... Only problem is my green mandarin. Do they usually get parasites? I know he'll die from starving in the quarantine tank... Or should I leave him in the display?

@ngoodermuth

I remember reading through your crazy qt thread last year. You did a specialized qt for your mandarin..Are there any tips you can give?

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, are flukes like ich in terms that if you keep your fish healthy, you shouldn't have a problem? Or are they a death sentence?

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Neobenedenia sp. - very tough to kill with praziquantel. They are a real pain in the butt. Hyposalinity at <15ppt (SG 1.010) for 5-7 days is the most reliable way to kill them (including the eggs).

Do you think if I hammer the prazi for a four or five dose cycle, it will kill them?

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know but I'd be surprised if it worked. Part of the problem is every time you dose that into your dt it becomes less effective. I honestly feel hypo is your only option. I'm about to start hypo on one of my qts... because velvet apparently wasn't enough. I too think I've got prazi resistant flukes. Again.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know but I'd be surprised if it worked. Part of the problem is every time you dose that into your dt it becomes less effective. I honestly feel hypo is your only option. I'm about to start hypo on one of my qts... because velvet apparently wasn't enough. I too think I've got prazi resistant flukes. Again.

Why are we in this hobby again? [emoji23]

Gonna try it and if it doesn't work I'll go to the next plan

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are we in this hobby again?
emoji23.png

Gonna try it and if it doesn't work I'll go to the next plan

I don't even know anymore.
Worth a shot I guess. I sincerely hope this works. Ripping apart tanks and setting up/breaking down dt/qts does get old really quick

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think if I hammer the prazi for a four or five dose cycle, it will kill them?

I've tried to kill them with a full 2 weeks of prazi, dosing every 3 days and it didn't kill them. The only thing that worked for me was hypo.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to kill them with a full 2 weeks of prazi, dosing every 3 days and it didn't kill them. The only thing that worked for me was hypo.

Well that's not good... That's not good at all. I have a feeling I'll be destroying all my rock work soon to get them all for hypo. Fingers crossed.. I'll be starting tomorrow.

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's not good... That's not good at all. I have a feeling I'll be destroying all my rock work soon to get them all for hypo. Fingers crossed.. I'll be starting tomorrow.

I've been battling Flukes, on my 3rd round of Prazi. Wanted to see what your end result was. Did you have success with Prazi after a few rounds?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back