Partial Splitting BTA

BTA Love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. This is my first forum. I do a lot of research on things that puzzle me and usually find answers just by reading other questions posed by other members on the forums. But I have not found anyone that has encountered this. I have a BTA. I have had it for 2 yrs. Sold to me as a beige BTA but recently someone told me it is a Rose Bubble Tip. Either way, I love it to pieces. In January it started splitting, but did not finish for some reason. Just ended up with 2 feet. At the beginning of August it started splitting again and I thought "finally it is going to finish", but it did not. Now it has 3 feet. My question is has anyone had this happen? Is the BTA going to finish splitting into 3 separate nems one day? Thank you to everyone that has some insight to this subject.

Attachments

• 3 feet BTA.jpg
    3 feet BTA.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 267

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the nem actually split other then what is in pics. Pic don't look like it's split just holding on stretching in spots. It normally only takes a day to split and you'll see the mouth splitting.

OP
OP
BTA Love

BTA Love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another pic from January when it partially split the first time.

Attachments

• Splitting BTA January.jpg
    Splitting BTA January.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 2 Footed BTA.jpg
    2 Footed BTA.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 251
OP
OP
BTA Love

BTA Love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of the actual ripping that took place in January.

Attachments

• Ripping.jpg
    Ripping.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Ripping 2.jpg
    Ripping 2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 216
OP
OP
BTA Love

BTA Love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That is neat. I just wish that it would stop doing partial splits and just get it done. Lol. In my research the longest time for a nem to split took a little longer than a week. This has been 7 months. It looks happy and healthy so I know it is doing what it wants.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has only 1 mouth so far.

Once the mouth start to split, then you're chances of having more go up, until then as others have said, it just looks like stretching. It's really hard to see exactly what you're trying to show us from the pictures, and you're around it everyday, so you know what it's "normal" is.

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this same thing happened to me about a year ago. i had a RBTA and i was noticing it would start to split and never went through with it. it stayed with 2 "feet" for 3 months. finally i decided to say "screw it i will feed it and see what happens". so every 2-3 days i would take a couple cubes of spirulina brine shrimp and let them melt, grabbed the baster and shut down the powerheads and then covered the whole nem with food, it ate almost all of the food, the rest which went into the water and was eaten by the fish. after a few weeks i came home and there were 3 RBTA all of which were doing great, now i think i have between 13 and 15 RBTA all from that one little guy, they have since stopped splitting since i stopped feeding them.

OP
OP
BTA Love

BTA Love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness. I hope mine doesn't split that many times. Lol. I am currently trying the feeding method. Hoping it will finish splitting. I usually feed it every other week. But I am now feeding it every other day. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Jcearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i doubt it will split that many times. after mine split i started feeding all the anemones that much for about 6 months. if your parameters are good and stable and you stop feeding them they wont split, they will just grow in size. you dont need to feed them they will just eat the leftover food from the fish.

OP
OP
BTA Love

BTA Love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started feeding mine every other day I have notice that the tips are beginning to change color. They now have pretty purple dots on them. I hope they stay with that coloration.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this same thing happened to me about a year ago. i had a RBTA and i was noticing it would start to split and never went through with it. it stayed with 2 "feet" for 3 months. finally i decided to say "screw it i will feed it and see what happens". so every 2-3 days i would take a couple cubes of spirulina brine shrimp and let them melt, grabbed the baster and shut down the powerheads and then covered the whole nem with food, it ate almost all of the food, the rest which went into the water and was eaten by the fish. after a few weeks i came home and there were 3 RBTA all of which were doing great, now i think i have between 13 and 15 RBTA all from that one little guy, they have since stopped splitting since i stopped feeding them.

Ditto and my BTA is up to a total of 19 splits. Argh

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started feeding mine every other day I have notice that the tips are beginning to change color. They now have pretty purple dots on them. I hope they stay with that coloration.

Thatis cool.

Yes, they can certainly morph in a color change.

Mine started as an RBTA and is presently tricolor.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 64 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 9.2%
Back