Particles in water column

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

So i have white dust like particles floating in my water column and i cant seem to get my water crystal clear, at first i thought its my fine fiji fink sand so i took that out, now i dont have any sand left and i still have this floating particles issue and its driving me crazy.

I do have a micron sock and i did try carbon.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure there aren't any bypasses in your filtration system that would allow the dust to get around the filter sock and back into the tank.

This may just be residual dust from the sand removal process but it could also be a bacterial bloom of sorts in the water column. I would do a series of water changes and hold off on feeding for a day or so to see if it makes any difference.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure there aren't any bypasses in your filtration system that would allow the dust to get around the filter sock and back into the tank.

This may just be residual dust from the sand removal process but it could also be a bacterial bloom of sorts in the water column. I would do a series of water changes and hold off on feeding for a day or so to see if it makes any difference.
bypasses? the sand i took out a while ago.

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bypass as in some way the water could flow around the filter sock. I’m not sure I’m your case, but in my tank if the filter sock too low in the sump, unfiltered water will begin to poor over the rim, thus bypassing this stage of filtration.

What is your flow in the tank? If there is too much, it could be a sort of dust storm with these residual particles. Try lowering flow maybe? See if these particles settle and can then be picked up by a sand cleaner siphon or something similar.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics? I wouldnt worry too much. If it was sand, that would drive me mental, but you say it is not. Its probably just detritus being kept in suspension. I have a bare bottom tank, no sump, and just a hob skimmer. I always have particulate in the water. In my opinion, its more natural, possibly even coral food. Coral reefs arent perfectly clear either.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bypass as in some way the water could flow around the filter sock. I’m not sure I’m your case, but in my tank if the filter sock too low in the sump, unfiltered water will begin to poor over the rim, thus bypassing this stage of filtration.

What is your flow in the tank? If there is too much, it could be a sort of dust storm with these residual particles. Try lowering flow maybe? See if these particles settle and can then be picked up by a sand cleaner siphon or something similar.
thats not the case with my filter sock. also im not lowering the flow.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics? I wouldnt worry too much. If it was sand, that would drive me mental, but you say it is not. Its probably just detritus being kept in suspension. I have a bare bottom tank, no sump, and just a hob skimmer. I always have particulate in the water. In my opinion, its more natural, possibly even coral food. Coral reefs arent perfectly clear either.
im not worrying its just that it doesnt look that nice. i dont think its detritus for such a long time.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want my tank to be like some of these Crystal tanks you see.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not worrying its just that it doesnt look that nice. i dont think its detritus for such a long time.
so you siphoned out all your sand and now have bare bottom? Im guessing its either residual fine dust from the sand, detritus, or maybe micro bubbles?

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you siphoned out all your sand and now have bare bottom? Im guessing its either residual fine dust from the sand, detritus, or maybe micro bubbles?

residual fine dust from the sand: wouldn't it have gotten caught in the sock by now? detritus or maybe micro bubbles: i do have a bubble trap plus i do think i tried to close the skimmer at one point to see if it was that but it wasnt. that leave me with detritus, but is so doesnt look like it because its like white partials looks like micro bubbels.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back