PARwise

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested PARwise over my frag area in my sump and I'm very confused.
It's newly setup, easy frags, lit by my old 175mh ballast with a 1 year old plusrite 14k bulb.
The fixture is mounted high, about 20" above the water. The frag Shelf is 5" below the water.
I have a short of spider reflector on the bulb.
These are screen shots I took.

Screenshot_20230321_223839_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230321_224008_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230321_224105_Chrome.jpg

I like the color analysis of the meter.
I don't get why this says 6 PAR.
Even taken out of the water and held 6" away from the light of gave me about 100 PAR.

Anyone care to give me some insight?
Tonight I'm going to try my display with the reef breeders. I don't have a handle but maybe I can make-shift something at home.
Not sure on the readings. Mine seems to work fine but showed lower than expected but corals seem happy. I am looking for more feedback as well. I made a handle out of 1/2" pvc and it works fine for me. Not pretty and will improve it over time.

20230322_070713.jpg
20230322_070720.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the readings. Mine seems to work fine but showed lower than expected but corals seem happy. I am looking for more feedback as well. I made a handle out of 1/2" pvc and it works fine for me. Not pretty and will improve it over time.

20230322_070713.jpg
20230322_070720.jpg
I'm thinking the same on a holder.
Will want to run the wire in the pipe and maybe put a phone holder at the top. The plug seems to wiggle out and disconnect the app. Makes it hard to do screen shots like that.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm thinking the same on a holder.
Will want to run the wire in the pipe and maybe put a phone holder at the top. The plug seems to wiggle out and disconnect the app. Makes it hard to do screen shots like that.
You can buy a 3d printed holder for around $13.00 or print one yourself.

Will be interested to see what your main display reads.

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this with an iPad that has the USB-C connector and not the Apple Lightning?

I read on their website that there is no iPhone support pending.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you know here I can buy the holder
Hey Wayne,

I don't have any made, but I bought this one. I then went to Lowes home improvement and bought a fiberglass driveway marker for 3 dollars to attach to it. You can also get an acrylic rod at any decorating place like Micheal's and the other girly places :).

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 2.5 years old and I've always struggled to keep SPS. I have 2 Red Sea 90s and the shop that comes by and helps with my tank has them turned down to a max of 40% blue, 10% white but never measured par for me. Looking at the Red Sea product page I wondered if this may be due in part to not enough Par so I decided to try and measure this with the ITC Parwise. Checking near the best looking frag (an anacropora) directly under the light and about 6 inches below surface I got around 80 par. In a similar area at the bottom of the tank I am getting 40-50 par. Clearly that's not good. However from reading about this product it isn't clear to me if the Parwise truly reflects par values that are tossed around as necessary for coral growth. For instance many people recommend par values closer to 300 for acropora but I'm assuming that is with measurements taken using the Apogee meters which have been around much longer. But since those also include light outside the usable spectrum, these values are inflated. So should I shoot for around 200 par using the Parwise?

To try and do some testing and validation I turned the lights to 75% blue, 100% white and measured just under the water surface directly under the light. With this setting and location I am getting 400 par. According to the RedSea product page, I should be getting 440 par using an Ocean Optics Flame T-vis NIR spectrophotometer which I will NOT be purchasing for $3800. The lights were last cleaned about 4 weeks ago, there was some surface movement and are 2.5 years old so I will live with a 10% reduction.

Long story short I have changed my settings to 80% blue, 10% white and set them to acclimate over 30 days. I hope to better maintain the SPS, keep my existing LPS and not see a huge algae bloom.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tank is 2.5 years old and I've always struggled to keep SPS. I have 2 Red Sea 90s and the shop that comes by and helps with my tank has them turned down to a max of 40% blue, 10% white but never measured par for me. Looking at the Red Sea product page I wondered if this may be due in part to not enough Par so I decided to try and measure this with the ITC Parwise. Checking near the best looking frag (an anacropora) directly under the light and about 6 inches below surface I got around 80 par. In a similar area at the bottom of the tank I am getting 40-50 par. Clearly that's not good. However from reading about this product it isn't clear to me if the Parwise truly reflects par values that are tossed around as necessary for coral growth. For instance many people recommend par values closer to 300 for acropora but I'm assuming that is with measurements taken using the Apogee meters which have been around much longer. But since those also include light outside the usable spectrum, these values are inflated. So should I shoot for around 200 par using the Parwise?

To try and do some testing and validation I turned the lights to 75% blue, 100% white and measured just under the water surface directly under the light. With this setting and location I am getting 400 par. According to the RedSea product page, I should be getting 440 par using an Ocean Optics Flame T-vis NIR spectrophotometer which I will NOT be purchasing for $3800. The lights were last cleaned about 4 weeks ago, there was some surface movement and are 2.5 years old so I will live with a 10% reduction.

Long story short I have changed my settings to 80% blue, 10% white and set them to acclimate over 30 days. I hope to better maintain the SPS, keep my existing LPS and not see a huge algae bloom.

Yes, absolutely adjust them up as the Parwise is correct in my experience. My Acropora are doing MUCH better after using Parwise over Apogee.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took a snap shot today of my tank and parwise reading. Reef breeders with no lenses.
It's blurry but that says 118 par about 4 to 5 in under the water line.
20230414_155312.jpg 20230414_155250.jpg

Sorry for the crappy window pane it's full of Coraline algae

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I took a snap shot today of my tank and parwise reading. Reef breeders with no lenses.
It's blurry but that says 118 par about 4 to 5 in under the water line.
20230414_155312.jpg 20230414_155250.jpg

Sorry for the crappy window pane it's full of Coraline algae

What intensity, etc? Any white light or mostly blues?

I would say that's correct without lenses. Not sure what angle the lenses are on RB.

k67iceberg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the parwise but it cannot read any data, I tried different PC, Mac, android, they are all the same with no data. I am guessing it is defected or the firmware is corrupted. Any idea?

k67iceberg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the parwise and it can't read any data, the page is blank. I tried different PC, Mac, android with same results. Any one have this issue?

image001 (1).png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back