OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how you have the sliders adjusted. If you had them all at 100% color for all channels, then it might be off. You would need intensity at 100% and all colors at 100% to see the true spectrum of the fixture.

You can set the spectrum with PARwise by adjusting the sliders. That maybe why your PAR is off too. What are all the color percentages at?
UV, Violet, Royal Blue and Blue at 100%
Cool and Warm White at 12%
Green 15%
Red 38%

Brightness 100%

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise warm white and a little cool white and your PAR will go up drastically. I would lower than red to about 15.
If I put the warm and cool white up it does increase the PAR, almost doubles it. I am really confused now and need to do some more reading on PAR.

I thought white light wasn't used in photosynthesis so why would it affect the PAR

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I put the warm and cool white up it does increase the PAR, almost doubles it. I am really confused now and need to do some more reading on PAR.

I thought white light wasn't used in photosynthesis so why would it affect the PAR
Because they use blue LEDs to make white LEDs. You do need some white in your mixture. Corals absolutely need that spectrum as white is very wide and contains red, etc.

If you want to post a Pic of your colors, I'll tell you how to adjust.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

"White" light is absolutely used in photosyntheis and PAR is ALL light in the visible range. Most meters usually read between 400-700nm. Some go higher and lower depending on the meter and setup.

Setting the white LEDs to 12% is going to kill PAR.

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they use blue LEDs to make white LEDs. You do need some white in your mixture. Corals absolutely need that spectrum as white is very wide and contains red, etc.

If you want to post a Pic of your colors, I'll tell you how to adjust.
I have just increased the whites to 30%

3.jpg

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon further examination, it looks to peak around 440nm. However again, color adjustment on the LEDs. He said he's running AB+ which means all his sliders are not all the way up.

You can raise the color adjustment until you peak about 450. I would go by the PARwise spectrum analyzer, not what someone told you.
Here's data from an UPRtek MK350S Premium Spectrometer of a Radion G4 Pro running the Coral Lab AB+ template measured 24 inches from the source at the hotspot of the light field. This meter is often used by professionals in the lighting industry and has NIST traceable calibration. This data was independently collected by @telegraham and verified for accuracy by three other spectrometers.

IMG_2022_0306_183341 2.JPG

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 1.42.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 1.43.00 PM.png

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have just increased the whites to 30%

3.jpg

That looks good for now. I wouldn't adjust to much for a few weeks until your livestock adjusts. If you need more PAR later, then raise the warm white to about 45% and leave the cool white where it is.

I'm sure your spectrum and PAR is up now.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's data from an UPRtek MK350S Premium Spectrometer of a Radion G4 Pro running the Coral Lab AB+ template measured 24 inches from the source at the hotspot of the light field. This meter is often used by professionals in the lighting industry and has NIST traceable calibration. This data was independently collected by @telegraham and verified for accuracy by three other spectrometers.

IMG_2022_0306_183341 2.JPG

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 1.42.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 1.43.00 PM.png

Ok and they are testing a XR30 PRO and not an XR 15 which is half the PAR output of an XR30.

Miller, the above poster, wasn't running AB+ anyway. His whites were non existent.

Thanks for the info.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PAR doesn't differentiate between " colors"
Just the total of all photons between, with this meter, 385-740 ( forgot exact extended range)
As mentioned above "white" is what you get when you blend individual "colors".
Like red,green,blue together make white to the eye.
Cool white LEDs have mostly blue and some yellow/green.
Warm whites blue,yellow/green and red

Corals can, for the most part, use all the visible spectrum (and then some).
Yellows and amber may be the least used in photosynthesis.
Those can be used for " other stuff"
Amber apparently is necessary to stimulate the creation of chromoproteins ( non-flourescent pigments)

The often used term is "pur" to define the most efficient photosynthetic component

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specs on the diffraction grating used in the PARwise, the spectral resolution of the sensor, whether it can do manual integration?

What we should do is measure the exact same light source under all meters and compare the results. Can PARwise export to a .csv file?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any specs on the diffraction grating used in the PARwise, the spectral resolution of the sensor, whether it can do manual integration?

What we should do is measure the exact same light source under all meters and compare the results. Can PARwise export to a .csv file?

I'm working on that now. Just have to find the time. Going to test the Apogee MQ-510 and the PARwise on my Metal Halide and my Illumagic LEDs and then both combined.

ITC, who makes PARwise, wants me to do that and let them know so they can adjust the PARwise. They said the Apogee reads UV light as PAR and the PARwise doesn't.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A White LED is a Royal Blue LED with a YAG:CE phosphor. PAR is a spectrum range from 400 to 700nm. So any representation in the band would increase PAR.

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 2.19.00 PM.png

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and they are testing a XR30 PRO and not an XR 15 which is half the PAR output of an XR30.

Miller, the above poster, wasn't running AB+ anyway. His whites were non existent.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, sorry when I went into it I had used coral lab LPS. I thought I had used AB+

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on that now. Just have to find the time. Going to test the Apogee MQ-510 and the PARwise on my Metal Halide and my Illumagic LEDs and then both combined.

ITC, who makes PARwise, wants me to do that and let them know so they can adjust the PARwise. They said the Apogee reads UV light as PAR and the PARwise doesn't.

Testing PARwise against other spectroradiometers would be better as that's what PARwise appears to be. The MQ510 is a silicon pyranometer with a filter for the PAR spectrum.

luxdium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry when I went into it I had used coral lab LPS. I thought I had used AB+
FWIW, this is the Coral lab LPS Soft template measured at its peak intensity.

LPS Soft.JPG

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 2.35.20 PM.png

The differences in the spectral qualities between the templates come down to the proportions of the secondary colors that make up the spectra.

Here's some composition analysis:

SQ Composition.png

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any update?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really want to get one of these to try out. I don't expect perfection but hoping it is good enough to get a good sense on spectrum

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back