Parwise

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry @oreo54 I've been pretty busy and didn't see all the new messages posted here.

I'm pretty sure mine is the second LED you posted with the two white diodes in the Puck. They started offering a "super blue" option, but mines all the normal pucks and I like those better. I can get a break down on them.

I'll try to post some pics too. They're working so well I've thought of going back 100% LED.....

I posted too soon. I was trying to be funny on going 100% LED :)

Viet658

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XR30 G6 Blue at 100% intensity. Lights mounted about 8-9” above water level. Measurement taken center of light about 10” below water level(mid level of tank)
IMG_8997.jpeg

Viet658

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Sky running AB+ at 100% intensity. Lights mounted about 8-9” above water level. Measurement taken center of light about 10” below water level(mid level of tank)
IMG_8998.jpeg

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys

Just to weigh in on the spectrum,

I think I all manufacturers are making product that is trying to hit the blue peaks required for all the major chlorophylls so it’s not surprising we’re seeing similar results. Testing White LED’s is also a little fruitless because a White LED is actually a BLUE diode with a phosphor coating so you still get a massive blue peak - again attributing to the common blue peak we all see. A good example is the BRS biology band test where all lights are filling part or all of that.

To add (edit) If you buy a 420nm LED.. there will be a level of tolerance across the batch so the actual peak will vary by several nm across the batch. Most quality LED manufacturers will supply that spec.

I recently did this with a cheap Amazon black light to see what PARwise was VS an Ocean Optics Spectrometer that’s factory calibrated for the UV range and it was bang on! Not going to say this will happen on every one but near enough!

Furthermore, please don’t forget that PARwise is not a full spectrometer. It doesn’t have single nanometer precision such as an Ocean Optics Spectrometer (very good, we have one) - and they’re around $5k depending on spec! That said, we do the exact test above against our spectrometer when we calibrate each PARwise’s spectrum - it’s a fun experiment!

PARwise is going to give you a solid indication of the spectrum.. and
How it can change with settings but it’s never going to be a fully fledged spectrometer - don’t forget corals won’t care if your LED is a few nm out on peak… because it’s not just one wavelength the diode emits :).

Loving all the input!
Can you share the PARwise and Ocean Optics spectrometer graphs you made side-by-side?

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys

Just to weigh in on the spectrum,

I think I all manufacturers are making product that is trying to hit the blue peaks required for all the major chlorophylls so it’s not surprising we’re seeing similar results.
Correction. Blue peaks aren't "required" for all the major chlorophylls. The blue region is where the greatest rate of photosynthesis occurs, but it also occurs across the visible, high-UVA, and near-IR regions at some level.
I recently did this with a cheap Amazon black light to see what PARwise was VS an Ocean Optics Spectrometer that’s factory calibrated for the UV range and it was bang on! Not going to say this will happen on every one but near enough!
Can you share this graph comparison between the PARwise and the Ocean Optics spetrometer with the UV light? It would be interesting to see the comparison, and how far into the UV region (under 400nm) the PARwise will read.
PARwise is going to give you a solid indication of the spectrum.
Not bashing the product, but the comments in this thread seem to indicate the statement's not quite accurate. I'd be interested in seeing a true comparison of single color LEDs (UV, indigo, royal blue, blue, cyan, green, yellow, red) between the PARwise and the Ocean Optics spectrometer. I've read in one thread that the PARwise is more than a few nanometers off, and the high/low skew factor depends on which side of ~465nm you're reading.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction. Blue peaks aren't "required" for all the major chlorophylls. The blue region is where the greatest rate of photosynthesis occurs, but it also occurs across the visible, high-UVA, and near-IR regions at some level.

Can you share this graph comparison between the PARwise and the Ocean Optics spetrometer with the UV light? It would be interesting to see the comparison, and how far into the UV region (under 400nm) the PARwise will read.

Not bashing the product, but the comments in this thread seem to indicate the statement's not quite accurate. I'd be interested in seeing a true comparison of single color LEDs (UV, indigo, royal blue, blue, cyan, green, yellow, red) between the PARwise and the Ocean Optics spectrometer. I've read in one thread that the PARwise is more than a few nanometers off, and the high/low skew factor depends on which side of ~465nm you're reading.
How accurate do you need to be? If you want spot on, you are going to have to open your wallet wide.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back