Patches of yellowish stuff showing up

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers,

I am a totally newbie to this hobby and need some advice or knowledge transfer from some of you experienced peeps.

Just a couple of days ago I noticed these faint very small patches of yellowish spots on top of the sand. Now a couple days later they are becoming more abundant and getting larger. I also noticed they are beginning to appear on my rock work.

20200724_144851.jpg

I've done some googling and to the best of my noob knowledge I'm guessing diatoms possibly? Think that since my tank is so new. Open to opinions from more experienced reefers. In other words... HELP!!! :-D

Water Chemistry
Temp 78
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20 (Working to lower this. Did a 15% water change yesterday and will do every couple days to get this lowered). Let me know if I should be doing anything else.

Salinity 1.026
Calcium 420
Alkalinity dKH 6.7
Magnesium 1520

Do I need to do anything? Should I be panicking? Did I add too much livestock too quickly?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mo

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bigs your tank and whats your livestock
im not the most knowledgeable person but i have had algae break outs in my old 15 gallon on my sand and rock which i think was nitrates but still not sure what the yellow is i will leave it to the people who know more
good luck with your future trip in the hobby!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No worries - associated with a newer tank and likely diatoms. If it gets heavy, do a simple vacuuming of surface with siphon
Nassarius snails and blue leg hermits will help keep this is check

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not the most knowledgeable person but i have had algae break outs in my old 15 gallon on my sand and rock which i think was nitrates but still not sure what the yellow is i will leave it to the people who know more
I have a Red Sea Peninsula 500. 132 gal total. ALL I have in the tank currently are 2 clowns, 3 cardinals, 1 royal gamma, 1 goby and pistol srimp pair. Coral wise 3 small frags.

OP
OP
Monice

Monice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye
No worries - associated with a newer tank and likely diatoms. If it gets heavy, do a simple vacuuming of surface with siphon
Nassarius snails and blue leg hermits will help keep this is check
[/QUOTE

Thanks! I was wondering if I can start adding a cleanup crew. Think I may go shopping again this weekend. :)

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P S try indo pacific farms the have a pretty good selection for a clean up crew and they sent me this nice blastomussa merleti

9379F1D3-5858-4072-9371-24D654A52582.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ye

Thanks! I was wondering if I can start adding a cleanup crew. Think I may go shopping again this weekend. :)
3 nassarius, 3 trochus. 3 asterina, 4 turbe and about 8 blue leg hermit. Should be pretty reasonable. Many reputable stores sell cleaner packs.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back