OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m consider a redo of the sump lay out. Finding it to be a little cluttered and some mistakes were made because my initial eagerness to get it going.

Here’s what I’m thinking.

FBF57D1F-36A4-405D-B634-2685792F4CF5.jpeg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome man- I like that reactor wall thing. Are you going to try doing this yourself?

I’m looking to do a custom acrylic piece, but I have neither the time nor the tools to do it, so I’m going to have to hire it out.

With the electrical, AWC, QT and coral grow out plans, plus vacation aug 3-18, I’m super low on time to get this thing up to date. Giving myself until October 20 to get the fishroom ENTIRELY finished. Uugghh

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome man- I like that reactor wall thing. Are you going to try doing this yourself?

I’m looking to do a custom acrylic piece, but I have neither the time nor the tools to do it, so I’m going to have to hire it out.

With the electrical, AWC, QT and coral grow out plans, plus vacation aug 3-18, I’m super low on time to get this thing up to date. Giving myself until October 20 to get the fishroom ENTIRELY finished. Uugghh

Yea, all myself. Figured I’d spend a weekend doing it. Got a quote from the glass shop at a little over $100 so it’s pretty inexpensive to modify. Drain the sump, remove the current baffles, clean and install the new stuff. Reassemble and we’re up and running. I’m thinking about running a Klir 7 (7” rollermat filter that directly fits a 7” filter sock hole). Fuge would be 8w x 16h by 35l.

You know, I was giving myself a time line with all this and realized it made me enjoy the tank a lot less. I finally cleaned up the fish room and decided this time I’ll take a few weeks and let myself go down there without tripping on various crap to try and see my workflow and move one step at a time. Anyway

I’ve got some other updates just not enough time to make a list of what I need to cover lol. I’ll get something going this weekend!

Aside from some cable management, a clean fish room!
c78e898e90a3c90ce831824e0b4bacc2.jpg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice bro.

Q for you- how long are you going to let the silicone cure before refilling?

There’s an easier way for me to do the filter cup tray- but I’ll need to silicone in a new baffle. Acrylic quote came in at $300 sooooo...

Link to the klir? I’ve only seen the big box type one. Don’t recall seeing one that goes in a hole

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap

This is what I’ve been looking for!! I was going to build it myself.

$120 each is a bit much, but man, that would be plug and play

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice bro.

Q for you- how long are you going to let the silicone cure before refilling?

There’s an easier way for me to do the filter cup tray- but I’ll need to silicone in a new baffle. Acrylic quote came in at $300 sooooo...

Link to the klir? I’ve only seen the big box type one. Don’t recall seeing one that goes in a hole

In the past, I’ve always used Momentiv RTV 103 or 108. 103 is black and 108 is “clear”. Apparently this is the stuff used by the top tier builders but who knows. I’m thinking 72 hours of cure time unless anyone has any objections. It’s not structural by any means so I don’t plan on using a lot.
7c30b983b9ae01e660d76ca3f1070061.jpg

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap

This is what I’ve been looking for!! I was going to build it myself.

$120 each is a bit much, but man, that would be plug and play

Yea, $120 isn’t awful. You figure making one us at least 5-6 hours and a day or two to cure. I think I’d rather pay to have someone else do that for $120 lol [emoji6]

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the link to the unit.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to get that drop in holder and use cups with fleece. Run it mainly for clarity. $120 is too low to spend the time sourcing and constructing something that’ll look ghetto compared to that when I have 12 other things and 2 under three to deal with

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update, Paul. I have missed seeing that fishroom!

Thanks, Victoria. I wouldn’t say it’s an update as much as “I haven’t quit the hobby!” Post. Just haven’t had any time.

I did order a box of 10 sticks from Battlecorals and another 15 sticks from a LFS. Had incredible success with them in QT but not so much in the DT. Kept the water parameters identical with 8.7 Alkalinity, calcium at 410 and Mag at 1200. My nitrates were low at 10 and my phosphates at .05. Unfortunately, I went away for a few weeks and when I got back, the tank had taken a turn. I forgot I turned the fuge light off and never turned it back on so I basically stop processing phosphates and they climbed to something my Hanna URL can’t read. Discouraging to say the least.

The schedule is proving to be difficult. It seems every time I go away for a pro longed period of time, the tank takes a hit by the time I get back. I can’t depend on my partner because frankly, she has her hands full and it’s unfair to her to take on anymore than daily feeding. Sucks

Anyway, enough whining.

My male swallow tail has made a full recovery from his encounter out of the water. He is however stuck in transition. I read that adding a female will resume this process. Anyone know anything about this?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to get that drop in holder and use cups with fleece. Run it mainly for clarity. $120 is too low to spend the time sourcing and constructing something that’ll look ghetto compared to that when I have 12 other things and 2 under three to deal with

Agreed!

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting up a life sized photo of the swallow tail. Folks have had auccess with photos of fish for lots of different issues. Or just give it a few more weeks, to months.

He’s been...I suppose I should be careful with my use of pronouns... kidding! He’s been stuck since I got him which is over a year ago now. He’s never had a female in with him. I’ve read that it’s possible for them to go back to female.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 66 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back