Paul _PSU 220 upgrade/build

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I hear that. I will no longer do any rush jobs with my tank. Matter fact I am thinking of stepping back a bit

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm fighting the urge to just rush and "throw" it up. Patience was the thing I had the most trouble with in this hobby.

I'd always rushed a bit and skimped on a few things with every other setup that I've done. I was always more happy with the new than the old, but after about 2 months, there was always something that I wished I had done differently. Currently, there isn't anything that I wish I'd done differently with the tank I have now because I took almost a month from the time I got the tank to the time the stand was completed and the rockwork was done how I wanted it, etc. Of course, I had the luxury of setting it up in a completely different spot, so my inhabitants weren't relocated to a rubbermaid in the interim, and I'm sure that makes it more difficult, not to mention all the other projects you have going on. There is an off-chance that I'll want to add a 2nd halide bulb to the mix to get more light in the tank, but even with that desire floating around my head, I am very happy with the canopy I have artistically speaking, so adding another light would come at a significant price in that regard, hence why I still consider it to have been done without cutting any corners.

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know its a build when theirs plywood in the background. lol
very nice light rack makes mine seem kinda cave man

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know its a build when theirs plywood in the background. lol
very nice light rack makes mine seem kinda cave man

That was left over from replacing the back roof on my garage...:bigsmile: I will probably use thicker stuff for the top of the stand.

Roland, I have a question for you. How far does the sides of your light canopy extend down past the bottom of your reflectors? You have the lumen brites so you get more of a punch straight down so I'm not sure what kind of spread I will get from these. The top of my tank is going to be 64" high off of the floor and then add 10-12" to the reflectors. I will most likely hook up one of the reflectors and hold the fixture up to that height and use a piece of cardboard to test different lengths for the sides and then I can just cut the aluminum to that. My desk and computer are directly across from the tank so I didn't want the glare on the screen.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul your taste in hockey teams in questionable, but your handy work is top notch! Now how about an update!
So far very well thought out, can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul your taste in hockey teams in questionable, but your handy work is top notch! Now how about an update!
So far very well thought out, can't wait to see more!

Comon Rob cut a little slack, Detroit is my second favorite team....:bigsmile:

Thanks! I am drilling the holes in the cross members of the frame to put the sockets in for the LED supplemental lighting. I'll take pics when I have them in.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the 110 gallon rubbermade I will be using as a temp setup in the basement while I build the stand. These pictures are from earlier. I am already filling it with water. The second pic is with a piece of acrylic over it. I am going to cover it while it's in the basement cause I don't have my ceilings down there covered yet and I don't want anything falling in there:

IMG00127-20100219-0954.jpg

IMG00129-20100219-0955.jpg

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed a second ballast and had a DIY cap and coil kit for emergency so I got an 8X8X6 junction box for $12 and made a ballast to use until I get another electronic.

IMG00124-20100219-0952.jpg

IMG00125-20100219-0953.jpg

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gave the bulb and reflector a try. The bulb is a Reefmax 14k that I got from the hydroponics store where I bought the reflector. The bulbs are only $23 and not a bad color. It's hard to tell with no water in the tank.

IMG00134-20100222-1827.jpg

IMG00135-20100222-1828.jpg

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I was at Roland's(vr967getta) today picking up a couple frags from a trade(Thanks Roland!) Soooo I figured I would see if he would fire up this ReefMax 14k 250W SE bulb over his tank so I could see how it looks. I must say I am impressed. It has a Phoenix 14k look to it. He has 14k Aquaconnects in his canopy. The Reefmax is on the left and his (2) Aquaconnects are in the middle and on the right. Not bad for $23. Just have to see how they hold up over the long run.

IMG00136-20100224-1042.jpg

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK getting back on track with the upgrade. I have my temp system up and running in the basement ready to transfer my livestock. I also have the new(used) SWC 250 Extreme skimmer set up on it. Here are a couple of pics:

144f4526.jpg

86e43198.jpg

3f48522d.jpg

7f7874ee.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back