paulydee innvo 40

paulydee67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is four months old with algae and nitrate problems.
20181009_151724.jpg

OP
OP
P

paulydee67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my parameters are nitrate 30 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
ammonia 0 ppm
phosphate .02
ph 8.0 dkh

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would reboot and start over. research as much as you can and ask for help if you are not sure of something. i would only feed a small amount once a day to keep nutrient levels stable. i would also use some different type of rocks.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in there? If not then I'd cut out the lights entirely. You should also add more live rock.

Imran Sid’s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kindly add more flow also along with cutting of light you can also try cover your tank for three days from light

OP
OP
P

paulydee67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cannot reboot .have fish in it and cannot afford it. how much flow ? i have two 425 gph pumps and return is 500 gph.the how much to cut the lights they are running 6 hours on. thanks paul

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a new tank. Very common stages that everyone goes through. It’s often called ‘the uglies’. Don’t worry, just let your tank continue to stabilize.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would reboot and start over. research as much as you can and ask for help if you are not sure of something. i would only feed a small amount once a day to keep nutrient levels stable. i would also use some different type of rocks.
Why? Nutrient control is at the very foundation of reef keeping. High nutrients require a change in husbandry. How do you propose a reboot is good advice here?

It’s a new tank. Very common stages that everyone goes through. It’s often called ‘the uglies’. Don’t worry, just let your tank continue to stabilize.
This. As we’ve discussed elsewhere. There are a lot of fish in a new tank and you don’t have effective nutrient export. The chaeto you added will help. Doing regular 20% water changes will also help.

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Nutrient control is at the very foundation of reef keeping. High nutrients require a change in husbandry. How do you propose a reboot is good advice here?

This. As we’ve discussed elsewhere. There are a lot of fish in a new tank and you don’t have effective nutrient export. The chaeto you added will help. Doing regular 20% water changes will also help.
a reboot is a change in husbandry.

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it is not. Husbandry is careful cultivation and care. A reboot is a result of poor husbandry, among other things.
exactly, with parameters like that, it is a result of poor husbandry. when i first started in this hobby 20 years ago i had poor husbandry and my parameters got bad. my latest tank is 8 months old and my nitrate levels never got above 10ppm. and that is because i want them there. i never went thru the uglies with this tank because years ago i rebooted and learned to control mother nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the commet
Keep us updated. I would stir the sand a bit and do a water change. I went through the diatoms and Cyano during the first few months as well. I stir my sand 2 times a week and the Cyano completely went away on it’s own.

As @TheEngineer stated, it’s best to figure the cause and work to correct. Rather than tear down, restart, and face the same issues as previously suggested by another member.

OP
OP
P

paulydee67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my nitrates down to .5 ppm .the problem was a bad test kit.the cheato seems to be doing well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back