Pay back for my bad husbandry

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 days of QT my new group of 6 Lyretail Anthias, there is only 1 left now. The main reason I think of this loss is because of ammonia spike. The 50 liters QT itself is way too small or the HOB bio-filter with some seeded seachem Matrix from DT was not filtering fast enough for the number of fishes in there. It was such a pain to watch each of them died, one by one :(. Next time, may be I should buy a group of 3 instead, and then adding up the number of fishes through time. Right now, I wish this last one will survive, just fed her baby brine shrimp and she is eating good although ignoring pellets food. I will name her Lucky.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses :(

Ammonia at even a trace amount can do severe damage. While your tank may have been a bit small. An established biofilter "should" have been able to handle the 6 Anthias.

They are sometimes difficult to feed well, and also seem to be very prone to uronema. Something else to watch for in the future.

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it actually good to quarantine fishes ? I’m thinking of just let those fishes a quick FW dip and then let them in the DT. I know it’s risky, but with lesser stresses, will the fish immune system be able to fight back diseases on it own ? :(

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, with velvet being so common I say yes QT is necessary.

There are several people that would argue this and the need for prophylactic treatment. I keep too many Acanthurus tangs and other "hard to keep" fish to not QT.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u want to skip qt buy from humblefish....all disease free!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back