PayPal Protection

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone give me some information on how the buyer protection actually works if there is a shipping delay let’s say an overnight package ends up taking more than one day what does the customer have to do to get their money back? How does this affect the seller if they are not responsible for shipping delays?

reeferguy3303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the sellers DOA policy. Did they claim that they would give you a refund if there are carrier delays or did they say they aren’t responsible for carrier delays ?
if they say they aren’t responsible for carrier delays and you try to get your money back through PayPal you’ll lose

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if there is a delay the seller will make things right. Just make sure you understand their DOA policy. Most sellers are understanding and will work with you if anything happens. Some, not so much.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, I would not trust any kind of protection policy offered by PayPal. I'm out over $1000 from various things that should have been protected but PayPal refused to cover after the fact

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try very hard to work it out amicably with the seller. Most people want to do what's right. Sometimes it helps to post a thread that's less hypothetical. Also, it's worth it to see what arrives. You may find that some things survive 48h instead of 24h that was intended.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on the sellers DOA policy. Did they claim that they would give you a refund if there are carrier delays or did they say they aren’t responsible for carrier delays ?
if they say they aren’t responsible for carrier delays and you try to get your money back through PayPal you’ll lose
Usually if there is a delay the seller will make things right. Just make sure you understand their DOA policy. Most sellers are understanding and will work with you if anything
I’m a little confused if you have a policy that you’re not responsible for carrier delays then why would you be responsible for that? What’s the point of having the PayPal protection? For example I just shipped out a jawbreaker mushroom overnight to somebody it has been delayed for probably another day. I’m supposed to be responsible for that? When it shows up dead I’m supposed to refund and be put the dead coral as well? I’m not a retailer and so far everybody that I have purchased from on here has a policy that they are not responsible for shipping delays. When I’m sent money to PayPal protection comes out of that money what is the point of it? I’m all for helping out the customer as much as possible but at the same time if I refund they get the mo why back I’m out the coral and the price of the shipping container. I have had two separate packages that I have had shipped out overnight both been delayed in the last two weeks how am I supposed to make any money if the shipper keeps delaying my packages and then I’m supposed keep eating it. There has to be some protection for the seller.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. You're the seller. I guess the question is "how clear and we'll communicated are your doa policies?"

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try very hard to work it out amicably with the seller. Most people want to do what's right. Sometimes it helps to post a thread that's less hypothetical. Also, it's worth it to see what arrives. You may find that some things survive 48h instead of 24h that was intended.
This isn’t hypothetical I’m asking because I’m having problems when I ship packages they are not arriving on time I can’t keep eating the cost every single time. It’s not my fault UPS can’t do their dang jobs.

reeferguy3303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PayPal protection often sided with the seller and did you tell the person you’re selling to that you aren’t responsible for carrier delays ?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PayPal "protection" is not as wonderful as people like to claim that it is. I stopped using PayPal years ago due to fraud issues that were difficult to resolve. Definitely try to work it out with the seller first. Wishing you luck.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use UPS. Try fedex. They are better to me, atleast where I’m at.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t hypothetical I’m asking because I’m having problems when I ship packages they are not arriving on time I can’t keep eating the cost every single time. It’s not my fault UPS can’t do their dang jobs.

That sounds horribly frustrating, and not your fault. Honestly, a person would have to REALLY convince me to ship a coral right now. A customer spending hundreds of dollars for a single mushroom should of course get their mushroom, but if there is no reliable way to ship them, they should either sign a waiver that they give you before you ship that absolves you of responsibility or just spend their money locally.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah I see. You're the seller. I guess the question is "how clear and we'll communicated are your doa policies?"
PayPal "protection" is not as wonderful as people like to claim that it is. I stopped using PayPal years ago due to fraud issues that were difficult to resolve. Definitely try to work it out with the seller first. Wishing you luck.
I am the seller the problem I’m having is I keep having my packages get delayed and I want to make sure people are getting what they paid for but at the same time I can’t afford to just keep refunding people because UPS can’t do their job so I’m a little confused about what to do but I have clearly stated that I’m not responsible for shipping delays but at the same time it’s upsetting to have people not getting their packages. What is the point of having PayPal protection if they don’t actually do anything for the customer because I do want to try and work out the problem with the customer the only thing is the only real way to work it out is I refund them all of their money and then I am out the coral and the shipping cost and if it keeps happening over and over that’s not really working out very well for me.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PayPal will cover you if you pay for an item and don’t receive or if it was falsely advertised. They won’t cover delays is shipping or DOA’s . It’s fraud protection.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could look into utilizing an insurance partner that will cover these types of delays and make it optional for your consumers to add on. Let them decide what they want to pay for and what level of protection they want for their order.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PayPal will cover you if you pay for an item and don’t receive or if it was falsely advertised. They won’t cover delays is shipping or DOA’s . It’s fraud protection.
That statement is confusing because if you don’t receive an item but it was shipped then wouldn’t that count as something that the shipping company did and not be covered. You’re basically saying delays in shipping aren’t covered but not receiving it wouldn’t be my fault if I ship the package out.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fraud protection.

Much of the time it is not even that ...

PayPal has demonstrated time and time again that they are not a consumer friendly business. Just my opinion, but I refuse to use PayPal for anything anymore after problems like this and much much worse (e.g. making legal threats against me after my account was compromised).

reeferguy3303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That statement is confusing because if you don’t receive an item but it was shipped then wouldn’t that count as something that the shipping company did and not be covered. You’re basically saying delays in shipping aren’t covered but not receiving it wouldn’t be my fault if I ship the package out.
I wouldn’t worry about it if you think the seller might come after you. PayPal will side with the seller 9/10 and you stated you aren’t responsible for delays

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t use UPS. Try fedex. They are better to me, atleast where I’m at.
Yeah I’m going to be switching to FedEx because UPS has screwed me over twice now the first time the buyer sent me the money friends and family I didn’t ask them to do that that’s just how the money came to me and the package was delayed and that was in the same state that I live in which is crazy to me so I did work with him and he paid for the shipping on another package and I sent him a replacement and I sent him a free coral but when it comes to the jawbreaker that I just shipped out it was the mother jawbreaker I don’t have another one and if the buyer can’t get their money back with PayPal protection then that means that the only thing I could do to help them is refund them all of their money and that leaves me screwed and I can understand every once in a while if something like this were to happen but when it happens twice in a row and you’re paying for a service that is just not happening I was just hoping that the customer would be able to go through PayPal to get their money back. I just don’t know how I can be held responsible for how a shipping company is handling their business when you pay for overnight and you drop the package off then it should be there when it’s supposed to be there.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about it if you think the seller might come after you. PayPal will side with the seller 9/10 and you stated you aren’t responsible for delays
I am the seller. Problem is I don’t want to see a customer screwed over and out of money. At the same time I don’t want to be screwed over and out money. The rules clearly state to make sure that you were paying for the PayPal protection but what the heck is the point if they’re not gonna do anything for the customer. That’s crazy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back