PayPal Protection

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That statement is confusing because if you don’t receive an item but it was shipped then wouldn’t that count as something that the shipping company did and not be covered. You’re basically saying delays in shipping aren’t covered but not receiving it wouldn’t be my fault if I ship the package out.
The whole purpose of the protection was to protect the buyer if they didn’t receive an item they purchased from a site like eBay. Or if the item purchase was advertised as one thing but wasn’t the actual item. It wasn’t meant for an item lost in shipping. That’s why you buy insurance or the item shipped from the shipper.
I have used PayPal since 99 or 2000 and in all those years I have had maybe two claims where the seller didn’t have proof of shipment and I received my money back. It’s take time to get the money back.
so if you purchase and don’t receive file a claim. But if it’s lost and the seller can provide proof of shipping you’re out of luck if insurance wasn’t purchased. Most legit people will work with you to resolve the issue.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m going to be switching to FedEx because UPS has screwed me over twice now the first time the buyer sent me the money friends and family I didn’t ask them to do that that’s just how the money came to me and the package was delayed and that was in the same state that I live in which is crazy to me so I did work with him and he paid for the shipping on another package and I sent him a replacement and I sent him a free coral but when it comes to the jawbreaker that I just shipped out it was the mother jawbreaker I don’t have another one and if the buyer can’t get their money back with PayPal protection then that means that the only thing I could do to help them is refund them all of their money and that leaves me screwed and I can understand every once in a while if something like this were to happen but when it happens twice in a row and you’re paying for a service that is just not happening I was just hoping that the customer would be able to go through PayPal to get their money back. I just don’t know how I can be held responsible for how a shipping company is handling their business when you pay for overnight and you drop the package off then it should be there when it’s supposed to be there.
Well if your DOA policy says your not responsible and they sent you money F&F then that’s on them I’m afraid. You can offer some kind of refund, maybe not full or send something similar but that’s up to you.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The whole purpose of the protection was to protect the buyer if they didn’t receive an item they purchased from a site like eBay. Or if the item purchase was advertised as one thing but wasn’t the actual item. It wasn’t meant for an item lost in shipping. That’s why you buy insurance or the item shipped from the shipper.
I have used PayPal since 99 or 2000 and in all those years I have had maybe two claims where the seller didn’t have proof of shipment and I received my money back. It’s take time to get the money back.
so if you purchase and don’t receive file a claim. But if it’s lost and the seller can provide proof of shipping you’re out of luck if insurance wasn’t purchased. Most legit people will work with you to resolve the issue.
I understand all that. The problems I am having as a seller here is two packages in a row have now been delayed. What am I supposed to do to resolve the issue besides of refunding the money which leaves me screwed over every single time the customer gets their money back I lost out on the box that I paid to ship the shipping cost I can’t afford to just keep shipping packages out and they never make it on time. How am I responsible for the shipping delay? I’m supposed to keep working out issues for the people that I pay to deliver the packages who keeps screwing up the deliveries and that’s supposed to be my fault and my problem? I don’t work for UPS. I take the money from the buyer I ship the package out and from there on out I have no control over what happens. All I know is if they keep screwing up the deliveries and I have to keep refunding people I’m not making any money I’m losing money. As I’ve said before I can understand when things like this were to happen every once in a while if it continuously keeps happening I can’t keep being responsible for it.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well if your DOA policy says your not responsible and they sent you money F&F then that’s on them I’m afraid. You can offer some kind of refund, maybe not full or send something similar but that’s up to you.
I know it’s on them if it’s my policy and I do not one bit feel responsible for shipping delays. At the same time I don’t want anyone who buys from me to have to take a loss. They don’t deserve that nor do I.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like the issue here is UPS, not PayPal. All they did was handle the money. They have nothing to do with the delay.
Yes the issue is UPS but it seems that UPS doesn’t have to be responsible for the services that you pay them for that are not cheap. Apparently they don’t have to do their jobs because there’s no way to hold them responsible for it I’m trying to figure out why PayPal takes a fee out for protection if they don’t do anything about it. I never said they were responsible.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am curious to hear from sellers who have dealt with this. I do appreciate the input so far.

reeferguy3303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the seller. Problem is I don’t want to see a customer screwed over and out of money. At the same time I don’t want to be screwed over and out money. The rules clearly state to make sure that you were paying for the PayPal protection but what the heck is the point if they’re not gonna do anything for the customer. That’s crazy.
Unfortunately that’s what happens as a seller, I’ve lost a lot of money trying to be the nice guy when things went bad when sending out corals and it got me nowhere.
You can try to set something up with the seller if you feel bad. IMO PayPal only works if you’ve been scammed and never got a package sent to you

I’ve been sold a broke hydra 32 light on r2r and I tried getting a refund through PayPal and they sided with the seller because I got the package and the seller said that the light was working when he sent it out

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand all that. The problems I am having as a seller here is two packages in a row have now been delayed. What am I supposed to do to resolve the issue besides of refunding the money which leaves me screwed over every single time the customer gets their money back I lost out on the box that I paid to ship the shipping cost I can’t afford to just keep shipping packages out and they never make it on time. How am I responsible for the shipping delay? I’m supposed to keep working out issues for the people that I pay to deliver the packages who keeps screwing up the deliveries and that’s supposed to be my fault and my problem? I don’t work for UPS. I take the money from the buyer I ship the package out and from there on out I have no control over what happens. All I know is if they keep screwing up the deliveries and I have to keep refunding people I’m not making any money I’m losing money. As I’ve said before I can understand when things like this were to happen every once in a while if it continuously keeps happening I can’t keep being responsible for it.
I hear what’s your saying, and it sucks that the shipping companies have dropped the ball as far as getting the items delivered in a timely manner the last few years. You pay big bucks to have an item delivered overnight only to find nowadays you probably won’t get it on time and when livestock or frozen foods are too risky nowadays.
It’s a shame and the reason I stopped buying livestock or frozen food online. Last year none of the stuff shipped overnight made it to me on time and all DOA. It was liveaquaria and they refunded the price of corals and not shipping. I used the refund credit on fry goods.
but in your case as a shipper I would think the shipping company should be responsible.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately that’s what happens as a seller, I’ve lost a lot of money trying to be the nice guy when things went bad when sending out corals and it got me nowhere.
You can try to set something up with the seller if you feel bad. IMO PayPal only works if you’ve been scammed and never got a package sent to you

I’ve been sold a broke hydra 32 light on r2r and I tried getting a refund through PayPal and they sided with the seller because I got the package and the seller said that the light was working when he sent it out
Sorry to hear that about the light. Crazy.
I hear what’s your saying, and it sucks that the shipping companies have dropped the ball as far as getting the items delivered in a timely manner the last few years. You pay big bucks to have an item delivered overnight only to find nowadays you probably won’t get it on time and when livestock or frozen foods are too risky nowadays.
It’s a shame and the reason I stopped buying livestock or frozen food online. Last year none of the stuff shipped overnight made it to me on time and all DOA. It was liveaquaria and they refunded the price of corals and not shipping. I used the refund credit on fry goods.
but in your case as a shipper I would think the shipping company should be responsible.
Just want to make sure people are getting what they pay for. I think I will try Fed Ex in the future. Hopefully the Jawbreaker I shipped will survive one more day. If it was an acro I already know it’s gone. These are big name companies and you should be able to trust their services.Thanks for the info though. Always good to hear from others.

OP
OP
B-RadReefer84

B-RadReefer84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So just an update on this whole thing. The shipping delay killed the Jawbreaker. I refunded all the money besides the shipping. Felt it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately I had no replacements for that. I think lesson learned. Don’t ship for Friday delivery. Anyway better luck next time I guess.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things might have changed, but as far as I know PayPal doesn’t offer protection for live animals.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
how am I supposed to make any money if the shipper keeps delaying my packages

This quote from you explains it all.
when your making money its a business. Taking care of customers is part of doing business. You dont have to but hobbyist expect it as a lot of reefers offer great service.

You are making money right ? You can do two things.
Let custoner know before they place order that you will not cover delays. This is important. Dont assume he knows. This is your responsibilty. Your making money. Your somewhat of a business. No way around it. Paypal protection is mainly for fraud etc.
Shipping delays covered by shipper. But UPS and others already have a disclaimer saying they won't cover it.
Just let customers know you won't cover delays. No one will be upset. You will have happy customers.
Less of them though.

Ask customer in event of delays do 50/50. Your corals will sell more. Look around, how you think others are doing it. It doesn't cost a lot to cut frags. Let customer pay shipping.

Hey Buddy just a friendly advice. I been in retail all my life. I have also sold old equipment etc. Once in a while you have to eat cost.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back