OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new frags are still doing great! I can't wait to start my new grow out tank, speaking of which..I just ordered a low boy frag tank. Really excited to get it up and running! I will probably create a separate thread once I get everything up and running.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having issues with my small frag tank so I decided to tear it down until I get my low boy up and running. I had to put everything in my dt so it's a little full...

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Camouflaged urchin :cool:
IMG_0778.jpg

I added the kessil from the frag tank and I will definitely be keeping it on the dt. It's amazing how much of a difference the 3rd kessil makes, it looks much better. Now I just need to get a new mount to match the others.

IMG_0784.jpg

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ultimately decided on the ugly cinder block stand, but the wife has some plans to dress it up. Finally got everything perfectly level and leak testing.

IMG_0811.jpg

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering what a 5-year-old Astraea snail looks like :) (for reference, the tiles on the right are 2"x2")
IMG_0808.jpg

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. After a lot of research and debating, I have started daily 2% water changes. I am curious to see how it impacts the growth and overall health of the system. So far I have noticed less film algae and (its probably in my head) slightly better coloration from my coral. I have also finally settled on a lighting schedule I am really liking.

I am hoping to get sand and rock in the low boy next week.

Last edited:

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LFS do you use? I already live in SC but am moving up to the spartanburg area soon, the biggest thing I'll miss about moving is my LFS (bob's tropical fish). Also have you considered barnacle blennies for the low boy, they're pretty cool?

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LFS do you use? I already live in SC but am moving up to the spartanburg area soon, the biggest thing I'll miss about moving is my LFS (bob's tropical fish). Also have you considered barnacle blennies for the low boy, they're pretty cool?

The only LFS I know of in the area is Oceans Floor. It's ok, I tend to do most of my shopping online, especially for fish. I do like blennies, but I am not planning on any for the low boy.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The 2% water changes seem to be having a positive impact on the system. I have started to broadcast feed my coral a small amount each day as opposed to a larger amount every 3 days. I'm curious to see if that has any noticeable difference on the corals and overall system health.

I am going to start running filter socks again. I still don't have any detectable nutrients but my chaeto is getting full of detritus. I'm afraid it is interfering with the health of the chaeto.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, time for an update on the low boy build. Everything is going well so far. I ended up cutting my 2-year-old marine pure block in half and using that to "cycle" the new tank.

Current tank inhabitants:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellow wrasse
1 melanurus wrasse
1 square tail tang

I am going to let the tank go through the ugly phase over the next couple of months before adding the coral to the tank. I will add a CUC sometime before adding the coral. I may add a chaeto reactor if necessary.

I let my wife do the rockscape and I think she did a pretty good job!

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

After getting the water added I decided I wanted to light the tank with my old freshwater t5's before my new fixture arrived.

IMG_0949.jpg

Well, that wasn't going to work so I came up with this marvel of engineering...

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Needless to say, the lighting is very temporary lol. Also, these pics were taken while the tank was still clearing up so it looks a lot better now. I'm still debating on adding a sump, but at this point, I don't think it would benefit the system too much. Aesthetically it would look better, but that is a pretty low priority with this tank. This tank will be on cruise control for the next couple on months, I will update it when I get the coral added.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to make a couple of changes to the system. I haven't been totally happy with my salt, so after some research, I have decided to give the LA salt a try. With the promos and coupons, it ended up being cheaper than IO and I like the parameters better. I bought 600 gallons worth, so let's hope I like it!

While I was up all night with a teething baby, I ran across some really interesting studies on chaeto and oxygenation. Long story short, unless it is lit from all sides (like in a reactor), or constantly tumbling, it will actually use more oxygen than it produces. I was only keeping the chaeto around for mild nutrient control and oxygenation.

Since mine was not tumbling, and becoming quite the detritus and GHA trap, I decided to remove it all and try to just grow whatever algae will grow on its own. I made some diy algae screens from some stuff I had laying around. I am hoping that GHA and other nuisance algae will grow on the screens and can be used for oxygenation and still easy to remove manually for nutrient control.

IMG_1029.jpg

No clue if it will work, but it's worth a shot.

I also ended up moving the frags from the DT sooner than expected so I took some updated shots without the frags.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took my filter socks back out lol. I just can't make up my mind about them. I took a phosphate reading yesterday and it's the first time in the past year it has read above 0 (.03). I guess the chaeto was doing a pretty good job. :) Also, my algae screens have started to grow some GHA, so we'll see how that goes.

IMG_1056.jpg

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back in town after being gone a week and aside from some additional algae in the display (mainly due to taking my fuge offline right before leaving, and no water changes for 2 weeks), most everything seems fine.

My bam bam/rasta colony is not looking so hot, so I'm not sure whats up with that. I changed my carbon and changed 8 gallons of water, so hopefully, they will start looking better tomorrow. Also, I did have a fish go mia while I was gone. Weird as it was really healthy and my tank sitter saw it a day before I got back and it was eating and acting normal. I checked all around the outside of the tank and couldn't find it, so I don't think it jumped.

I have decided to turn my decommissioned fuge into a cryptic zone. I'm still reading a lot about it, but I'm hoping it will work out for me.

I am getting some new leathers and mushrooms for my farm tank on Tuesday so check out that build if interested.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got rid of my ugly screen top. I made a frame to help prevent any jumpers. I know it won't be as effective as the screen, but whenever I have seen a fish jump, its after it gets spooked hits the glass and goes straight up. Hopefully, this will help prevent them from going over. It not only looks way better in person than that ugly diy screen, but it makes daily water changes and feeding much more convenient.

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

After a lot of research, I decided to remove all of the marinepure media from both tanks. That was a few days ago and so far there have been no ammonia spikes or other ill effects. I also removed a mature baseball size rock from my dt to the farm tank to help with biodiversity. Right now my sump just has some sand in it which I may remove.

I'm also contemplating adding a skimmer. I know I said I don't like them, but while my more natural approach has worked in the past, it was hard to control and imo too effective. I think running a more typical setup with socks, skimmer and regular water changes will help me control things a little better.

Oh and I finally decided that I am for sure going to run filter socks ;)

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been making so many changes lately and the tank is starting to show it's displeasure. Some of the changes were necessary and others not so much. My urchin and zoas are really the only inhabitants that have shown any distress. I think I will probably lose the urchin :(. I have started to settle into my new tank maintenance routine and I think the tank will be much better for it in the end.

I ended up taking all the sand out of my old fuge today, and it was a tad dirty to say the least...
IMG_1382.jpg

My mountain of "fishy towels" (as my wife calls them) after a particularly busy maintenance day...

IMG_1334.jpg

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back