PE Mysis contains what ingredients?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually make my own food at home, so I know exactly what's in it. The fish love it and seem to always stay healthy. I have a lot of tangs and have never even gotten ich.

So the other day I went to the LFS to get some food, since my fridge is messed up (waiting on warranty service) and I lost all I had made. They said the PE Mysis was something like 69.5% protein and that the cheaper stuff was about 18%. What makes one shrimp have the much more protein than the other?

I continued to think about this as I got it home and fed it for a couple days. I also noticed that the water gets pretty cloudy when feeding mysis. What is this cloudy stuff? All the shrimp seem to be whole. If they were put in a blender, I'd expect small bits to make the water cloudy.

I noticed that my food freezes hard as a cube of ice but the mysis stays a little softer. Why? When I make home made ice cream, it also freezes hard, yet storebought ice cream will stay softer. This is due to antifreeze being put into it. Interestingly enough, it's the same stuff everybody on social media keeps complaining that's in Beneful dog food. Yeah, ice cream hasn't killed me yet.

So the big question....what is it in this PE Mysis food? I suspect something to keep it from freezing so hard, as well as some protein powder. They don't list ingredients on the bag, only the percentage of protein.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually make my own food at home, so I know exactly what's in it. The fish love it and seem to always stay healthy. I have a lot of tangs and have never even gotten ich.

So the other day I went to the LFS to get some food, since my fridge is messed up (waiting on warranty service) and I lost all I had made. They said the PE Mysis was something like 69.5% protein and that the cheaper stuff was about 18%. What makes one shrimp have the much more protein than the other?

I continued to think about this as I got it home and fed it for a couple days. I also noticed that the water gets pretty cloudy when feeding mysis. What is this cloudy stuff? All the shrimp seem to be whole. If they were put in a blender, I'd expect small bits to make the water cloudy.

I noticed that my food freezes hard as a cube of ice but the mysis stays a little softer. Why? When I make home made ice cream, it also freezes hard, yet storebought ice cream will stay softer. This is due to antifreeze being put into it. Interestingly enough, it's the same stuff everybody on social media keeps complaining that's in Beneful dog food. Yeah, ice cream hasn't killed me yet.

So the big question....what is it in this PE Mysis food? I suspect something to keep it from freezing so hard, as well as some protein powder. They don't list ingredients on the bag, only the percentage of protein.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it is about anything they add. It has to do with how and when they are harvested. The protein content will vary depending on what the mysis have eaten and when they are frozen.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see the protein content being different based on what they eat...but that's a HUGE difference. Also...I don't think it would explain why they don't freeze as solid as anything else, even a chunk of solid meat.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use it but I'm honestly a little fearful of what is in it because they are certainly adding something. It's not just the shrimp in that container. It's super oily. Like you can't get that oil off your hands for a while if you touch it. I always felt like there was too much other garbage that I don't know going into my tank, but hey the fish are fat and happy.

I stopped feeding it all together a few months ago. My fish are still fat and happy. Still feed mysis just not the pe version.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I suspect now I know why it costs more. You get what you pay for.
I dont know.....cause I sure wouldnt pay more yo get protein powder and antifreeze. I think I am going to stop feeding it unless I find out whats in it.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Simple, because PE mysis is larger.
I personally like SF because they're the right size for my fish. I suggest raising PE, their mysis is very oily.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met , talked to and later sat with the pe mysis crew and CEO at the awards dinner at Macna. The food is on the up and up.

Here's the thing. Thereyr all gut loaded and hufa's are added. If you freeze several shrimp they don't make a cube so they use it as a binder or They fall apart like a bag of shrimp at Costco and consumers don't want it because it's not convienint.

You can call and email the company and with a few exceptions they will tell you what's in it. It's a small company and there pretty cool folks.

There's no antifreeze in it.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met , talked to and later sat with the pe mysis crew and CEO at the awards dinner at Macna. The food is on the up and up.

Here's the thing. Thereyr all gut loaded and hufa's are added. If you freeze several shrimp they don't make a cube so they use it as a binder or They fall apart like a bag of shrimp at Costco and consumers don't want it because it's not convienint.

You can call and email the company and with a few exceptions they will tell you what's in it. It's a small company and there pretty cool folks.

There's no antifreeze in it.
I buy flats cubes are crazy expensive if you have a lot of fish. I go through a flat of the really large mysis (non pe but pretty close to krill size) and a flat of the smaller cleaner white mysis every month. Not convenient at all. But if I were feeding cubes I'd be thawing about 12 cubes at a time if not more.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy flats cubes are crazy expensive if you have a lot of fish. I go through a flat of the really large mysis (non pe but pretty close to krill size) and a flat of the smaller cleaner white mysis every month. Not convenient at all. But if I were feeding cubes I'd be thawing about 12 cubes at a time if not more.
It would still be kinda impossible to flash freeze a million tiny shrimp without some kind of binder I would assume. Water would break apart the flesh as it crystallized so a fat or fish oil we likey be ideal in both cases.
Flat or cube.

True that antifeeeze (propleyne glycol) mixed with water or glycerine would be cheaper so as I understand it natural fish oils are more nutritious. Besides we need all that the propylene glycol to make our Costco cakes and cupcakes fluffy and moist and make our cars not overheat.

And man you must have a big tank.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, because PE mysis is larger.
I personally like SF because they're the right size for my fish. I suggest raising PE, their mysis is very oily.
Size is irrelevant to percentage though. I couldnt see a larger shrimp having that much higher percentage of protein.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it is fish oils that keep it from freezing the same as ice. I may check with them sometime and see if they will tell what is in it. If they wont tell everything in it, I will most likely just continue to make my own food.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using REEF2REEF mobile app

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE mysis does not contain any more protein than any other brand of mysis. It's a marketing ploy that your LFS has fallen for. If you look closely at the percentage of protein in PE Mysis it states, 69.5% "from dry weight". Basically, they are giving you the percentage of protein without considering the moisture content. If you look at Hikari Mysis for example, they clearly state the moisture content and state the protein content as a percentage (10.5%) of the whole product. In other words, if Hirkari were to dehydrate their product and calculate the protein content it would be very similar to PE.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE mysis does not contain any more protein than any other brand of mysis. It's a marketing ploy that your LFS has fallen for. If you look closely at the percentage of protein in PE Mysis it states, 69.5% "from dry weight". Basically, they are giving you the percentage of protein without considering the moisture content. If you look at Hikari Mysis for example, they clearly state the moisture content and state the protein content as a percentage (10.5%) of the whole product. In other words, if Hirkari were to dehydrate their product and calculate the protein content it would be very similar to PE.
That does make sense. I'm not home right now but I will look more closely at the label later

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does make sense. I'm not home right now but I will look more closely at the label later
PE does contain HUFA, which is the same ingredient as in Selcon. That's the reason it cause your skimmer to stop working when you feed PE Mysis. Food with added Selcon will have the same effect on your skimmer.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lipids are more important than protein to marine fish. They use fat for energy the way we use protein.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back