PE Mysis flat pack

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to frozen PE Mysis in the flat pack today. Has anyone else feed this and within 30 seconds out of nowhere had their tank fill with micro bubbles? My tank was crystal clear as I poured a 1/2”x 1/2” thawed out chunk in the tank. Maybe 30 seconds later the entire tank was filled with micro bubbles. It’s been 15 minutes now and all my pumps feed modes have completed and resumed normal operation and I still have a lot of the micro bubbles. As I’m typing this it is starting to clear up but I would say I still have 50% of them. Ive been watching my Skimmer the whole time and I’ve seen zero effects on it.
What in the world would cause this?
Did I get a bad pack?
Is this normal for this brand?

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normally a lite tan to gray color and has a god awful fish smell?
I wonder if at sometime it thawed and refroze before I bought it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a reaction from food itself with the oils, skimmer might not like it. Typically when we used that brand the skimmer would not make any bubbles. I noticed a strong shrimp smell but not fish smell. Hopefully it wasn't thawed and refrozen.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a reaction from food itself with the oils, skimmer might not like it. Typically when we used that brand the skimmer would not make any bubbles. I noticed a strong shrimp smell but not fish smell. Hopefully it wasn't thawed and refrozen.
My Skimmer is in the third chamber and both chambers 1&2 where filled with micro bubbles. When everything goes in feed mode I’m guessing I have about 600 gph of flow which mostly is from wave pumps as I think both returns turn down to about 100 gph each just enough to prevent the returns from draining.
Yeah the wife said definitely not a shrimp smell more fishy.
Should I toss it out and call it a loss?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those flat packs are pricey. Before tossing it I'd call the store where you bought it and see if they can exchange it. That fishy smell would throw me off for sure. In the end, I wouldn't use a food that has a reaction like that in the tank. Trade it in for some reef frenzy and mysis feast;):D

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to try LRS but the closest place that sells it is almost 2 hours away. I had to drive 1 hour just to get this PE Mysis :( I’ll have to wait just over 2 hours for them to open and give them a shout. Maybe I can talk the wife into a road trip to the OK Aquarium this weekend and bring my cooler filled with dry ice and pick some LRS products up.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to try LRS but the closest place that sells it is almost 2 hours away. I had to drive 1 hour just to get this PE Mysis :( I’ll have to wait just over 2 hours for them to open and give them a shout. Maybe I can talk the wife into a road trip to the OK Aquarium this weekend and bring my cooler filled with dry ice and pick some LRS products up.
Chad @Reef Nutrition ships as well. I always like refrigerated foods, so easy, lol. That blows to have to drive so far man.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store that was near by got a big head after being on the YouTube video with the fritz guys and coralfish12g doing the big saltwater store video all over. I won’t say the name but it’s the shop they made fun of with the water snake aka python water change hose. Needless to say it changed owners soon after and the new guy did everything he could to turn the store around but the bad rap was to thick and it closed permanently last month.
Thankfully the other store is still open and has some killer livestock just 45 minutes further away then this store was.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store that was near by got a big head after being on the YouTube video with the fritz guys and coralfish12g doing the big saltwater store video all over. I won’t say the name but it’s the shop they made fun of with the water snake aka python water change hose. Needless to say it changed owners soon after and the new guy did everything he could to turn the store around but the bad rap was to thick and it closed permanently last month.
Thankfully the other store is still open and has some killer livestock just 45 minutes further away then this store was.
Were very fortunate to have good stores next to us like world wide corals.:p:p:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the video. It’s actually pretty cool

JDtimk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have had that happen to me with PE Mysis in the past. I was feeding the cubes though. I think it was probably due to the amount of what looked like oils in the food. I never got a spoiled pack, but if I didn't rinse the cubes well it would make the skimmer go nuts. I would imagine this effect would be more prominent the smaller the volume of water is in a system relative to the amount of PE Mysis fed, but maybe not if your tank had that happen with only a 1/2 x 1/2 inch portion.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2” x 1/2” portion in 300 total water volume I would have thought would have no effects but looks like I’m wrong again. Please no one tell my wife I already hear enough from her! ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting Lol

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely weird you might have gotten a bad pack or something not sure. I switched to the flats like 6 months ago and have never had that issue I feed a 4"×2" chunk every day. Do you thaw it in salt water before you feed it? Or do you just throw the Chunk in the tank? Not sure if it whould make a difference just curious.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely weird you might have gotten a bad pack or something not sure. I switched to the flats like 6 months ago and have never had that issue I feed a 4"×2" chunk every day. Do you thaw it in salt water before you feed it? Or do you just throw the Chunk in the tank? Not sure if it whould make a difference just curious.

I thaw it out in tank water for approximately 30 minutes. This is the same way I’ve done it with other brands. The water is still cool but not warm by any means. I’m thinking I got a bad batch. I called the store I got it from and they opened a pack up and said they didn’t think it smelt right either and the next time I’m in town they will give me a credit.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are! Just wish they were much closer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use this and fish love it. be sure to rinse it and strain it

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 112 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back