Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my test kit, did a test
Calcium:350
Alkaline:213
Phosphates:0
Nitrate:5
I saw my calcium is low so I took two hours of my time to do a deep clean in the tank remove algae, and did a 30% water change and clean the filter. Ya ya now over just ten minutes later the corals are opening again and I can tell there doing a bit better my zoas are now more open, the waters bit cloudy not to much.
image.jpg
Im gonna test calcium again later to see if it elevated, of not I will start dosing every other day till elevated.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo your lack of phosphate is considerably more problematic than low calcium. without nutrients your richordia have lost a necessary food source and the door is wide open for dinos.
more fish, less filtration, more feeding, less cleaning aside from scraping algae

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo your lack of phosphate is considerably more problematic than low calcium. without nutrients your richordia have lost a necessary food source and the door is wide open for dinos.
more fish, less filtration, more feeding, less cleaning aside from scraping algae
IME, Ricordea yuma can thrive in clean water as well as VERY dirty water (My colony thrived through an ammonia spike that was through the roof). There is almost nothing that kills this coral, it has always come back and thrived.
This is my colony of them.
295AB6A8-7C5F-4441-9BBD-D9A72ED12176.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, Ricordea yuma can thrive in clean water as well as VERY dirty water (My colony thrived through an ammonia spike that was through the roof). There is almost nothing that kills this coral, it has always come back and thrived.
So should I boost phosphates, I read you shouldn’t have a lot of phosphates?

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I raise my phosphates form what I read you should have higher phosphates than 30ppm

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I raise my phosphates form what I read you should have higher phosphates than 30ppm
I would boost them to Atleast 0.03, I personally have mine sit at 0.045 in my SPS tank. I’ve never found an issue with this and in my Softie/LPS tank they sit just a bit higher at around 0.06.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so beside boosting phosphates any thing else I should do
I’d say calcium should be higher however I have mine at 500 due to having two clams and SPS in a 3’x16” tank so I think 400-450 is best in your tank as I can see you have LPS.

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say calcium should be higher however I have mine at 500 due to having two clams and SPS in a 3’x16” tank so I think 400-450 is best in your tank as I can see you have LPS.
ya I’m working on it I have a calcium supplement and I did a water change to day. Besides that I think everything is doing good. My main elements are good like
ammonia.0
Ph:8.6
Nitrite.0
Nitrite5
and with this test I only really need to take care of easy stuff. This past weeks I’ve been super worried as I didn’t have a coral test kit, now that I know this are not major thing I can finally relax a bit.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while that may be true there is a sizeable difference between a seasoned reefer making measured choices in the direction of their tank and a new reefer that may not quite have a stable tank and just trying not to kill anything.

OP
OP
Fishology

Fishology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while that may be true there is a sizeable difference between a seasoned reefer making measured choices in the direction of their tank and a new reefer that may not quite have a stable tank and just trying not to kill anything.
I’m more of the ladder side

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand that, however the OP has a hammer and potentially other LPS in the tank.
With LPS, you’re going to want to be putting more worry onto them then you do Softies. If you plan to stay within the LPS and Softie tank, you ideally want to stick to parameters that fit between both corals needs.
For example my parameters in my Softie/LPS tank are;
Calcium: 400-450
Magnesium: 1460-1480
Kh: 8-9
Phosphates: 0.045-0.060
Nitrates: 0.5
And an idea on my tank here’s an FTS, It’s 4’x2’x18” and 2 years old, almost 3.
39AC80CE-C3DD-45FA-8380-FBB29F9CF3C0.jpeg

Guzman333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the craziest mushrooms I’ve ever seen. I didn’t know mushrooms could grow torch arms…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back