OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little late to the party but awesome idea for a build and even better execution! Following for sure.

Thank you for the kind words - we'll see where this goes! :)

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following this thread. I didn't know about Killifish!

I'm glad you're here! There are over 1200 species of killifish and most all of them are freshwater although a few are described as saltwater and several more are brackish (but because fish don't read some of the brackish killies live and breed in saltwater anyway). Although I have bred somewhere between 10 and 20 species of killifish, my specific area of interest is the Fundulus and Lucania genus and, in particular, the species from Florida.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

I had no idea about saltwater killies. Shame on NavagatorBlack for not telling me of those... (he’s a freshwater breeder in Canada, and a good friend. )But negligent in this information.

beautiful tank, I love the wood in there. I’ve always wondered why we never use wood in a salt tank but was told absolutely Not to.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!

I had no idea about saltwater killies. Shame on NavagatorBlack for not telling me of those... (he’s a freshwater breeder in Canada, and a good friend. )But negligent in this information.

beautiful tank, I love the wood in there. I’ve always wondered why we never use wood in a salt tank but was told absolutely Not to.

Thank you for your kind words! Wood leaches things including tannins and who knows what else. It can be a challenge to keep the water clear (not yellow) and I wouldn't recommend wood for most people and situations.

Most killifish people are strictly FW people and most SW people are killifish people and never the twain shall meet except a few eccentric people like me (which I long since have made peace with :) ). Even my friends at the highest level of the killifish community nod and then go back to what they are doing and the SW people view it as an oddity. As I mentioned before in an earlier post, this specific killifish is a common SW bait fish which puts it in a far lower caste than what most would consider to be an acceptable and proper aquarium fish. All of that said -- with a little bit of luck, a little bit of time, a little bit of knowledge, and a little bit of leftovers, a nice saltwater tank is possible at an extremely low cost.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a big update because not much has changed, but I lost the hermit crab in what appears to be a failed molt. This weekend I was able to find a new-to-me net for collecting. Sometimes a dip net, a standard 10-20' seine, a short single person 4-6' seine, a cast net, or a minnow net trap are not the best option and aren't producing the desired results. My new purchase is essentially a personal trawl net - it has a 3' opening and should work well both in streams and (hopefully) in SW grass flats. Hopefully it will help me add some additional fish to my tanks.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening and salutations

Sorry about the crab, score on the net though

Now you gotta put the net in action and get some update pics posted

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Evening and salutations

Sorry about the crab, score on the net though

Now you gotta put the net in action and get some update pics posted

No spare time at least until after the holidays but I am looking forward to using the net. I may even brave the frigid Florida waters! ;Shy

I do have a weekend long freshwater collecting trip scheduled for March with friends, but hopefully I won't have to wait that long to get my nets wet! :)

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is such an awesome thread and very neat idea. Thank you for sharing all of this with us!

Thank you for your gracious comments. Although there have been limited changes recently other than keeping up with water changes, the system continues to show that a reasonable looking system with a minimal budget can be maintained over time.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No spare time at least until after the holidays but I am looking forward to using the net. I may even brave the frigid Florida waters! ;Shy

I do have a weekend long freshwater collecting trip scheduled for March with friends, but hopefully I won't have to wait that long to get my nets wet! :)

I know I know, (That makes sense in my head) but I can’t remember where in central Florida ur.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I know, (That makes sense in my head) but I can’t remember where in central Florida ur.

I'm am literally half way down the Florida peninsula in the greater Orlando/Tampa area so my coastal collecting trips tend to be around Tampa/St Pete.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're bringing back memories of my Marine Biology class in high school, where we kept tanks in the classroom full of whatever we could catch in our drag nets at the beach -- one of the benefits of living in a shoreline town.

It was LI Sound, so pretty much everything was gray or brown, not your cool tropical stuff, but it was still really fun.

Do you have horseshoe crabs down there?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're bringing back memories of my Marine Biology class in high school, where we kept tanks in the classroom full of whatever we could catch in our drag nets at the beach -- one of the benefits of living in a shoreline town.

It was LI Sound, so pretty much everything was gray or brown, not your cool tropical stuff, but it was still really fun.

Do you have horseshoe crabs down there?

What a neat opportunity to go collecting and call it school! Yes, plenty of horseshoe crabs here and one of my favorite places to collect seems to be a place where a lot of their shells get pushed on shore.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing ever is happening onto Horseshoe Crab Mating Day -- when there are literally hundreds of them everywhere storming the beach. It's one of those things that, if you don't know about it in advance (which I didn't), seems like the beginning of the apocalypse.

Such freaky creatures.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am literally half way down the Florida peninsula in the greater Orlando/Tampa area so my coastal collecting trips tend to be around Tampa/St Pete.

Was it Bradenton?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was it Bradenton?

Yes, one of my primary saltwater collecting spots is just north of Bradenton. The Manatee and Little Manatee Rivers are beautiful and very diverse and there are several little bays along there in Tampa Bay.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you'll be back in your neighborhood soon and we can go collecting together this next year!
I'll be back fairly soon actually, its creeping up real fast im so excited! I would love to go collecting, a couple of my LFS have people that come in with locally collected specimens.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back