Peace River's Found Parts Build

Arkayology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am literally half way down the Florida peninsula in the greater Orlando/Tampa area so my coastal collecting trips tend to be around Tampa/St Pete.
What do you usually collect? I see the crabs and shrimp in your tank, but what else is around? I might have a job opportunity in St. Pete and am hoping it works out.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you usually collect? I see the crabs and shrimp in your tank, but what else is around? I might have a job opportunity in St. Pete and am hoping it works out.

Good luck with the job opportunity - it is a beautiful area! Personally I focus on various species of killifish and then work to create the space for them to breed in my tanks. The Gulf Killifish (Fundulus grandis) pictured in my thread are the offspring of fish that I collected near the Skyway Bridge. I have collected, kept, and bred several others from that area as well. Southern puffers and other interesting species can also be found in that area.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll be back fairly soon actually, its creeping up real fast im so excited! I would love to go collecting, a couple of my LFS have people that come in with locally collected specimens.

Sounds great! I look forward to it!

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still havent looked into permits or anything, I'd like to collect some inverts and stuff. I have a spare tank and almost everything to set it up, but wont have much time or funds so I'll stick with inverts. Reminds me do you need any thing for the tank? Skimmer, Powerheads, light, fuge light?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still havent looked into permits or anything, I'd like to collect some inverts and stuff. I have a spare tank and almost everything to set it up, but wont have much time or funds so I'll stick with inverts. Reminds me do you need any thing for the tank? Skimmer, Powerheads, light, fuge light?

Florida requires a standard fishing license with the saltwater add-on for collecting. That tank is settled in for now. One of the interesting and exciting things about collecting is you never know what you’ll find!

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida requires a standard fishing license with the saltwater add-on for collecting. That tank is settled in for now. One of the interesting and exciting things about collecting is you never know what you’ll find!
Thats easy enough then! Do you hand collect or just net? I think it would be fun to snorkel around all different places.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats easy enough then! Do you hand collect or just net? I think it would be fun to snorkel around all different places.

I have a range of different nets including a dipnet, seine, and more. I hope to add a larger seine this year. I haven’t snorkeled in that area but I know that some do.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, wanted to check in on your build.
Still crazy busy down there or getting some space to find time to put the nets into action?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, wanted to check in on your build.
Still crazy busy down there or getting some space to find time to put the nets into action?

No, haven't been collecting recently, but still plenty happening - mostly on other systems. I reorganizing some tanks which includes tearing down, cleaning, drilling, plumbing, etc. I have a few skimmers, a light reactor, ATO, several pairs of clownfish, and some other stuff either currently on the way or will be on the way here soon. Of course, no plan ever goes exactly in a straight line so I look forward to seeing where this adventure goes!

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many Florida rivers meander so drawing some inspiration from my R2R screen name, I will also meander a bit on this build thread (which I already started to do in the previous post) while I wait for the water temperature to warm up a bit - the fish are still there, but I don't like the cold water! The main 55g that this build thread is focused on is still doing well and I will be doing another regular water change later today. As an update on the other "goings on" - the light reactor just arrived, the overflow box should be arriving at the first of the week, two skimmers have been ordered, and more will be ordered soon as these additional systems come together.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely sounds like you have your hands full. I always have fun when messing around with new projects. On a side note, I don't like the cold either lol

Yes, always have to be doing something! I think that we both have spent enough time in the cold to last a life time!

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As part of the ongoing meander from the main tank in this build thread here is another update -- so far this week an Eshopps L and several clowns arrived and then the skimmers should arrive tomorrow. I plan to drill a 75g and add the overflow this weekend - the stand and sump are already in place. Additionally, I hope to start plumbing 5 other tanks together this weekend as well.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick update - I successfully drilled two holes in the 75g for the Eschopps Eclipse L overflow!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - I successfully drilled two holes in the 75g for the Eschopps Eclipse L overflow!
I need a drilling class! I was scare to death to drill my cube, so I brought the return over the back of the tank.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need a drilling class! I was scare to death to drill my cube, so I brought the return over the back of the tank.

IMO the two reasons for failure are pushing too hard and drilling tempered glass. It really is more grinding than drilling. Also, always check for tempered glass no matter what you are told. Putting a folded towel (or comparable) below the hole is good practice in order to catch the round piece of glass that falls when you finish drilling. Additionally, sometimes an overflow will come with a drilling template. I have also created a jig using a small square piece of plywood and a hole saw to drill the appropriate sized hole then clamp the jig into place. Out of the roughly 30 tanks that I have attempted to drill, I have messed up three - the second tank because I didn’t understand the concept of grinding, the 11th or 12th because I got overconfident and tried to rush, and then another one that was tempered and I found out the hard way. My recommendation to someone wanting to learn is to get a 10g tank (or similar cheep/free used tank) to use as practice and then drill a bunch of holes in it. Two things to keep in mind - (1) go slow with light pressure (just enough to make sure you are actually grinding - you should be able to head the difference) and, (2) use even less pressure when you are almost through (you will learn what that feels like). It is scary - I still get a little nervous, but IMO that helps with concentration. Good luck if you do decide to try it!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the two reasons for failure are pushing too hard and drilling tempered glass. It really is more grinding than drilling. Also, always check for tempered glass no matter what you are told. Putting a folded towel (or comparable) below the hole is good practice in order to catch the round piece of glass that falls when you finish drilling. Additionally, sometimes an overflow will come with a drilling template. I have also created a jig using a small square piece of plywood and a hole saw to drill the appropriate sized hole then clamp the jig into place. Out of the roughly 30 tanks that I have attempted to drill, I have messed up three - the second tank because I didn’t understand the concept of grinding, the 11th or 12th because I got overconfident and tried to rush, and then another one that was tempered and I found out the hard way. My recommendation to someone wanting to learn is to get a 10g tank (or similar cheep/free used tank) to use as practice and then drill a bunch of holes in it. Two things to keep in mind - (1) go slow with light pressure (just enough to make sure you are actually grinding - you should be able to head the difference) and, (2) use even less pressure when you are almost through (you will learn what that feels like). It is scary - I still get a little nervous, but IMO that helps with concentration. Good luck if you do decide to try it!
Great advise @Peace River !!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through the thread and find everything about the ideas and execution very interesting and cool.

Sorry to learn about the demise of the puffers and, hopefully, all of that is behind you.

Looking forward to a return of warmer weather so you can get back to collecting!

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just read through the thread and find everything about the ideas and execution very interesting and cool.

Sorry to learn about the demise of the puffers and, hopefully, all of that is behind you.

Looking forward to a return of warmer weather so you can get back to collecting!

Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoy collecting both FW and SW native fishes and look forward to getting back out soon!

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The plumbing for the 75g and multi-tank system that I had hoped to complete last weekend has stretched throughout this week and might be finished tomorrow. I made it to the WWC megastore today and picked up several little parts and pieces plus a beautiful little Clarkii to pair with the lone large Clarkii that I already had. Nothing to dramatic, but I try to make a point of touching the new systems everyday without losing track of the regular needed maintenance on the existing tanks.

Back