Peacock Mantis Shrimp Anyone?

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see your Peacock Mantis shrimp. And where you recommend getting one. I have been on the lookout for one for some time. Thanks

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard these are difficult to find on a regular basis. Probably best to keep searching all the online websites regularly and contact your LFS and special request one... then, they can keep watching their wholesalers.

Purkey Pets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I too was looking for a couple months online. I put a few feelers out to LFS in the area and a "Notify Me" on Liveaquaria

I finally got notified four months later on Liveaquaria, I didn't see the email until two hours after it was sent, Peacock Mantis had already sold. Saw the same on Diver's Den, within the hour it was sold.

Ended up calling all fish stores around me and found one---only one--- 2.5hrs away. Little bigger than I wanted to start with, but took the plunge.

She just had her first molt, only a few days being shy but came out healthy and with much more color.
Screenshot_20200330-214827_Snapchat.jpg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS gets them in several times a year. Just keep looking, you'll find one eventually.

I've never kept a peacock mantis. Just a wannerea(spelling?) that hitchhiked in on some live rock.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up calling all fish stores around me and found one---only one--- 2.5hrs away. Little bigger than I wanted to start with, but took the plunge.

if you don’t mind me asking, where are you located and how much did you pay?

Purkey Pets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
if you don’t mind me asking, where are you located and how much did you pay?

I'm near Columbus Ohio, and picked her up in Ashland Kentucky for $130. They said it would have been $90 if she was smaller sized, if that helps any.

None of my local places could get one, this was right before the Coronavirus lock down.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez.... the most I ever paid was $50 for an almost full grown one... how big was it?

Purkey Pets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Geez.... the most I ever paid was $50 for an almost full grown one... how big was it?

Full size right around 6".

I thought $130 was a little pricy, but that seems to be the going rate. Other stores were quoting $80 in my area but could not get one in.

I would be willing to pay more for one, considering the kind of specimen these are.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one this past saturday at my LFS for $50. I was surprised seeing that price as I've seen them go for around $80 before... And especially during the plandemic prices, I just couldn't pass it up for that price and snatched it up.
Wow, where are you located?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My LFS has 2 nice ones at $69.99 each

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which store in Michigan had one of these in? Curious as I'd like to visit such a place. Tropicorium in Romulus, Preuss Pets in Lansing, and Sea World in Roseville have been my go-to
Stingray Bay, about 5 minutes from Sea World... small LFS but always usually have good quality fish.. They usually have the best prices in town. Lots of variety of dry and frozen food too. Greg the owner had an unfortunate incident with palytoxin poisoning that got one of his eyes. Now it's severly damaged. Another lfs worth visiting also is Oceans and Seas. About a minute or 2 away from Seaworld. I've also seen them have Mantis shrimps but not at the great price.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which store in Michigan had one of these in? Curious as I'd like to visit such a place. Tropicorium in Romulus, Preuss Pets in Lansing, and Sea World in Roseville have been my go-to
Stingray Bay, about 5 minutes from Sea World... small LFS but always usually have good quality fish.. They usually have the best prices in town. Lots of variety of dry and frozen food too. Greg the owner had an unfortunate incident with palytoxin poisoning that got one of his eyes. Now it's severly damaged. Another lfs worth visiting also is Oceans and Seas. About a minute or 2 away from Seaworld. I've also seen them have Mantis shrimps but not at the great price.

I’ll have to check there. My friend actually does the ordering at Preuss and she said they’re having a hard time getting anything in. Do you know if stingray bay can get in other species like a purple spot?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to check there. My friend actually does the ordering at Preuss and she said they’re having a hard time getting anything in. Do you know if stingray bay can get in other species like a purple spot?
I'm not sure but you can always call and ask for Greg the owner. I was there a week ago and they had a female peacock mantis but the price $89.99. So I guess I got lucky.

Back