Pearly jawfish not eating

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I’ve had a pearly jawfish in my tank for about 6 months now. He’s done great so far. Made his own burrow and would swim out at feeding and grab food and dart back in. Last week he moved out of his old burrow and started to make new ones. So far he’s made two and seems to be living comfortably in one. Only problem is now I don’t see him coming out to eat like he used to. Is he just getting used to his new burrow and side of tank? I’ve soaked the food in garlic and have squirted some directly into his burrow with a baster. Haven’t really seen him eat this past week. Should I just wait and see since he was eating so well before? It is possible he has eaten I just haven’t seen him since his new burrow is in the back of the tank.

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do this too. In my experience, they eat when they are hungry - I have two. I love this fish!!

DriftN201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few jawfish and they tend to disappear for a little while sometimes. I had one scratch his eye really bad while building a new home and rarely came out for a while. I searched a few forums and found it was pretty common. If you are nervous he might have died, you could always test your nitrites or nitrates and see if they are high. You could also check around or under your tank, they are known jumpers. Best of luck to you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back